What's the best kind of birth control form for breastfeeding new moms?

I'm a new Mother to a 4 week and 1 day old baby girl, I was wondering what I should use? I was thinking of the diaphrame, or just using condoms and pull out method.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 3:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whatever you do, don't use JUST the pull out method. That's what got us our baby girl. The diaphragm is not particularly good unless you use lots of spermicide with it. Condoms are great unless they break. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, except my daughter is 2 weeks older than yours.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We use condoms, but I am also learning The Billings Method of natural family planning. I haven't put that much effort into that yet though, but I hear it is the best method for breastfeeders. Another thing I considered was the copper IUD, but decided against it fo now.

I also agree with the above poster. The only thing that the pullout "method" prevents is a great orgasm.
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i got on the depo,but i herd it decreases ur suply but i never had any problems.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well, here is what is OK for a nursing mom: Mini Pill, IUD, Condoms, Depo Shot, and Abstinence. I can tell you that I got pregnant on the Mini Pill, and that my IUD aborted (it basically came out). I would suggest that whatever method you choose, you choose 2 methods together. I've heard bad things about the Depo shot. I might suggest trying the Mini Pill and Condoms, or Spermicide, along with pulling out. That's because I'm crazy paranoid of getting pregnant. I'm actually waiting to get my tubes tied, but hey, I'm 30 and have 2 kids already, and am sure that I'm done.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Paragard IUD...seriously no hormones, no crossing things into milk..no remembering, low issues of side effects...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009