The Lutheran Church

I was born and raised Lutheran, but my dh was never baptised and doesn't know much about the Lord. He wanted to "church shop" and I went with him to be supportive. Anyways, one of the churches did a sermon on the Lutheran church. The pastor said that Martin Luther burned and murdered many people and that his anti-semitic speeches were plagiarized by Hitler! OH MY GOODNESS!! If this has any grain of truth I feel just terrible. What sort of religion did my family baptise me into? Do people just join these churches and give their lives to them without doing any kind of a background check? I don't want to go to a place that was founded on the beliefs of a terrible man!! What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You got to be kidding me. Another Church teaching falsehoods. Another Mans words being twisted. If they were so strong in their own faith they wouldn't have to tear down anothers.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Most all of the early reformers supported religious persecution and held antisemitic sentiments. It's sad, but it is true.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• take a lesson from what you've 'learned' and apply it for your family TODAY! as you church-shop, do your research, ask pointed questions, and fully be aware of what you are 'joining', rather than become a member/be baptised because 'the people are nice'. too many people join a church without knowing really what their doctrine is, their mission, policies, ordinances, etc. then, when the proverbial poop hits the fan, as it will in some form or another, the entire church gets blamed for it. people make up the body of christ..men makes up the rules...check them out, and really know what you decide to be a member of.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I don't recall Luthern murdering anyone. That is complete BS. Now he was very frustrated wtih the Jews who refused to convert. It wasn't a racist thing. He didn't think the Jewish race was defective. He just didn't understand why they wouldn't leave what they had grown up with and come to the same understanding that he had.

Whatever Hitler did (quoted) was his own doing. Hitler persecuted Jews based on their heritage not their personal beliefs. He thought the "race" was weak and that the Airian Nation has the strongest genes. Hitler persecutected people who were only 1/4 Jewish and practised Christianity.

Pull out your Catechism and read it along with the Bible. Don't believe the rantings of some fool who is trying to "Market" his church over the truth.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Ok, here's the thing. I am NOT Lutheran, though I AM Christian. My dh, however, IS Lutheran. We attend a multi-denominational contemporary style service. There are some aspects of the Lutheran faith that I disagree with, so I do not choose to convert.

HOWEVER, I did a lot of studying of his particular faith out of respect and love for him, and I can tell you that this is NOT true as far as the whole killing people and all of that. As far as Hitler quoting his speeches and such, well, frankly, Hitler bastardized and twisted a LOT of things that a LOT of people said to use it for his own purposes. That wouldn't be Luther's fault, or against anything he said, that would be on Hitler, and the people who fell for it.

But sadly, there are some churches that feel that the only way they can spread their "take" on God is to tear down someone else's. Please don't let this undermine the comfort you get from your church.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• OK sorry but WTH!! WHY WHY WHY do churches feel the need to rip apart other churches? why not concentrate on your faith!

did you talk to him after?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well, Lutheran led the Protestant movement, in a way, and even before that he was a Catholic monk, so really any part of Christianity has his influence (especially since Catholicism did their counter reforms after his breaking from the church). I have heard he was an unpleasant man, and it was the norm back then to be anti-Semitic and to be prejudice and judgmental against those who did not think along the same lines as oneself.

But even if the sermon made true claims, it really has no bearing on today. The Lutheran church today doesn't reflect any of those attributes which many people believe Luther himself held. In fact, what with approving homosexual pastors, the Lutheran Church is probably one of the least prejudice or hateful churches out there....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Quote: Do people just join these churches and give their lives to them without doing any kind of a background check?

Answer: Well... yes, they do. Just doing some basic research on how Judaism got started, and reading Kings I and Kings II will also tell you about how murder and genocide was used and condoned, apparantly, by Jehovah. And yes, the protestant reformation was not without cruelty and if that's not enough, read about the Inquisition... which tortured innocent people just because they would not convert to Rome's official new religion.. Christianity.

See, I used to be a VERY adamant Christian... until I started asking questions.. doing some reading... other than the Bible (but even the BIBLE was enough to shock me into wondering what exactly was I professing to believe in). And that is when I started looking at other religions, and finally found Paganism, which has brought me much joy, love, and peace.
    NewDay810

Answer by NewDay810 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I am not a church historian, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the statements about Luther. However, any church that feels it must attact another church based on old history is not a place I would want to be. There are doctrinal issues that need to be discussed but to go back to the reformation and attack someone is just wrong.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Although it is important to know church history, what is more important is what the church does now. We are living in the present and for the future (to be united with God in Heaven), what has happened in the past cannot be changed, but the church can learn from it. I dislike any church that picks apart other churches and says that are wrong. It is done to Catholics and other Christian denominations as well. I would personally never, ever attend a church that felt it had to pick apart other denominations. That is not the way God wants us to be.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 23, 2009