What Can I Do With This Cat?!?!?!?!?

Every time I turn around, our small black kitten is in the trash can grabbing whatever he can get his little paws on. Thing is, he has a FULL food dish and water (both auto-feeders) I check daily to see how much is left and always refill the water and food bowls as needed. We have tried popping his nose, putting him in the kennel right after he's been caught for a few minutes, and even going so far as to lock him in the bathroom each night. I have about had it with him. I know he's a baby and still learning but this cat is more stubborn than a blind, deaf, and mute mule. If it weren't for my son's attatchment to the kitten, I would find him a new home but as my son adores this kitten, I feel I must find a better solution to resolve this with his best interest in mind. (My son has Autism and the kitten is literally his only friend because he has no patience for other people)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pets

• This is so mean but it worked...take the trash out of the can, put the cat in it and beat the crap out of the can. It scared mine so bad, he never went near it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Can you put your trash in a plastic kitchen trash can with a lid?
    this will help with the trash issue...
    also keep doing what you have been doing ... (displine wise) they (kittens) as you said
    are just babies...
    I am going thru the same thing lol right now but have also 3 adult kitties that think what baby does is not only funny looking (they give him weird looks) but they like to do it too...lol...

Good Luck, but do get a lidded trash can or place garbage out side all the time...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• awww, curious little kitten! they'll continue to do things that annoy for a long time until they begin to mature and know what's off-limits. ideally, keeping a lid on the trash or keeping it in an enclosed area will help with this particular problem. my friend's cat likes to unroll the toilet paper and string it everywhere through the house. the bathroom door is always kept closed. :)
    KarmynCardfiend

Answer by KarmynCardfiend at 8:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• This is such a cute post....I have two 4 1/2 month kittens and they are so mischievous!

Those little boogers LOL!

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 8:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• spray the damn cat with water when it does it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think putting a tight lid to the can will do the trick.

Answer by older at 8:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Just wanted to say do NOT do what the first anon poster said! That's horrible and abusive!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• get a water gun or spray bottle and spray him anytime he gets near the trash.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Try the water gun or spray bottle that should work. Someone once told me cats hate the smell of orange oil. You might try getting some essential oils and putting that in the trash can. Also, we keep our trash under the sink, I am not sure if that is an option for you.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Why don't you put the trash up, under a cupboard, in a pantry or buy one with a lid? If you just refuse to do that, get a waterbottle and squirt him whenever you find him in the trash.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 23, 2009