Toddler Trantrums!

My 13 month old is like King of trantrums. He throws himself on the floor, backwards and hits is head off of the floor.. Screams and throws things. I walk away. I make sure he's safe but I won't baby him.
Sometimes when he climbs up on something and I take him down and say "no" he arches his back and I just lay him on the floor and let him cry for a minute then he gets up and walks around and is fine.

Am I doing this right?

Any other tips?

Also, his naps have changed. He used to take 2 nice naps... Now he will only take a long one in the morning which sometimes is like 2 hours and then sometimes maybe an hour in the afternoon if I hold him or snuggle. He's so active and doesn't want to stay still!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would says youre doing great. Thats exactly what I would do. If you don't give in the stage will pass.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My 18month old started having tantrums a few months ago and now its over ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.Even changing her nappy is a mission. I do the same as what you mentioned, but if she's really naughty I give her a little slap on the hand and say no and walk away. I find this testing/tantrum stage the hardest part of being a mum.I have no tips, but I think you're defiantely doing the right thing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i dont see any harm in what you are doing, when my son was his age he was the same and i used to have a corner in my front room full of cousions that was his time out corner, you have to walk away when they are like this to show them YOU are incharge not him, if he new he was getting away with it your life would be hell so well done you lol you could also try to distract his attention on something else when he starts his tantrum my son is now 5 and still doesnt like being told no so if i no he is going to argue back i quickly say , hey look at this outside have you seen that, mind their is nothing their so i just make somthing stupid up like look at the trees over thier swinging side to side santas helpers are moving them to let you no he is watching you lol you can try alsorts, my sister used to copy her daughter when she had a tantrum and she would stop and look at her and laugh, good luck xx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 8:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• thats what I did/do. My son stopped taking 2 naps at 13 months and it sounds like I birthed your son's older brother..lol!! He did all of those things too - Just be strong/stern and consistant!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Another brother here - my DS is 16 months, and he does that same arching, banging his head, crying and snarling when he is angry when I stop him from something he wants - and he wants to do everything, touch everything, go anywhere... so yeah, I started to do the same, put him down and go away, and he will be ok after a minute... looks like this is normal then? :)
    And he is transitioning to one nap a day too...
    Branka2008

Answer by Branka2008 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009