What do black people think?

About white women who bake under the sun or tanning bed to get darker skin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think.... "man you just might regret sitting out in the sun years down the road" and then I crawl back under my beach umbrella, with my sunglasses on, my sunblock on, my sunscreen on and complaining about being out in the sun period. HA!

Honestly my family has been faithfully running from the sun since my mum came out high yella as a baby. See my mum's older siblings would have to do all of the chores that required them to be outside while my mum would sit on the porch in a big straw hat. My grand mum would say "save the yella gal, she'll stay light, marry well and bring good things to the family". My mum passed that same stuff down to all 4 of her girls, none of us like to be in the sun; but guess where our favorite vacation spot is??? Walt Disney World, FL. Yes, I've been just about every summer since before I was born( my mum walked Main ST. while pregnant with me) and I do tan while there but not on purpose.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I've always wondered why white people who hate other races tan... lol If you hate people with darker skin why would you tan?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Good point Anon :18
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• hey hey wait a min why do u have to make this about race?' no one said what do u think about RACIST white women baking.. this question is kinda point less. Whites tan bc they dont want to look ashy white.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• OP here- actually I just wondered if it was ironic to black people that white people are worried about being darker. Not about race(s)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I wonder why black women lay out under the sun. I get playing in the water or outdoor sports etc...but I've seen girls actually "laying out" as if they're tanning...do dark skinned people tan?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Anon 9:08, maybe they just like the warm feeling of the sun washing over them? I used to lay in the sun and take naps when I was a little girl. I wasn't trying to tan, I was just loved getting in the pool, swimming until my lip turned blue, then laying in the sun and warming up while I dozed.

Also: Why are y'all assuming that all black women think the same? I am sure that there are many different opinions on this issue - the most popular of which I would assume, is that they could care less if white women tan or not...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• The tan stays with me all summer just about and right around Nov. I yellow back up. One of my older sisters live in Arizona. She moved out there cuz that's where her husband has family and he wanted to move out there. She likes several things about AZ but one thing she hates with a passion is the sun. Now she has a tan all year around. I slather my girls with sunscreen every summer especially the younger one because she is Asian like her daddy but as white as a ghost. She still tans but she looks like a little white girl with a tan and just like her mommy when November rolls around she loses her tan - only difference is I yellow up, she whitens up!

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm not sure what they think, but I will tell you what I would be thinking...."What I wouldn't give for the privilege of sitting for 5 minutes in that sunshine." I have a condition that causes me to break out into a crazy rash and hives with exposure to sunlight. Even like half a minute. It is painful and difficult to get the rashes to go away, even with the use of medications. So on hot days when others are wearing shorts and such, I am wearing sunscreen, long sleeves, a denim shirt over my long sleeves, jeans, a big hat, and some UV shades.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Don't really understand the first answer, sine OP didn't ask what you think about white women who are racist but ask about white women who tan...It's so annoying that some people always have to turn everything into a racist debate.

My AA friends use to tell me that I am crazy for laying out in the sun and that they are sure I'll regret it one day, but I think that most black people could care less about white women laying in the sun?!
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 9:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2009