Do you let your kids watch too much TV and if you do, why?

I know I do b/c sometimes its the only way I can get anything done, like cooking, cleaning, and lately applying for jobs online. I feel bad I let her watch so much, but if I didn't, my house would be nasty and I really need to find a job and if she's not watching cartoons, she's banging on the keyboard and wanting me to hold her.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 8:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that i do sometimes it's just easier like when it comes to cleaning and cooking and things like that. I have 4 children and i am exhuausted by the end of the day so yeah i will let them watch tv or even play the wii while i lay down. Or just do the things i need to do. But since school has started i have limited how much tv and the wii during the week. On the weekends i really dont care how much and sometimes i feel guilty. But i am not perfect
    aviecse

Answer by aviecse at 8:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well the kids are in school now, but in the summer yeah they watch too much. I do incourage them to go outside and play. I'll buy them sidewalk chalk, water slide thingy, water balloons. But they soemtimes don't want to do that they'd rather watch T.V. Which I can't blame them because I enjoy watching t.v.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We don't have a TV so my children have never watched it. When I clean I have them help. My 9 month old has a play yard and I put plenty of toys in there. Since they have never seen TV they are able to entertain themselves and find other things interesting. To each their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Would someone please define too much tv for me? It is on all day when we are home but she rarely watches it. it is used more for noise than anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• In the winter they do but there isn't much else to do when it's cold outside. In the summer they don't watch much because they are always outside playing. I have 4 kids and they would drive me insane if we didn't have a TV. They do other stuff, too, and if I find they haven't moved of the couch in hours I turn the TV and have them go find something else to do.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:19 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Some days too much TV, some days no TV at all.... its all about balance. If I find they have been in front of the TV all day, I make sure the next day is different. Some days you just need to have them "out of your hair". Not the most PC statement, but its true!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• When my sons were younger they watched about 2 hours a day MAX. Now they are 23, 21 19 and 17 and none of them are really big TV watchers. They would, even now, rather be outside than inside watching TV.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• No. My kids do not watch too much TV and as long as they have been in my care they never do. AT MOST they get MAYBE 2 hours a night, and typically that's while the other one is in the bath and i'm cleaning the kitchen and making lunches for the next day.
    My kids know that if i'm busy then they leave me alone. And they usually help me do the chores. So, they get to have a part in that, which is great because it's teaching them multiple things at once.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:19 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My tv is on ALL the time. Does it mean we are watching it all the time? No,it is more a background noise type of thing until my husband comes home, then he takes over . My 4 yr old has the ability to find things to do, he can come and go from the house to the back yard as much as he pleases. My 16 yr old doesn't watch any shows just watches music videos in the morning to waste time.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• hmmm, well what is too much anyway?

My daughter doesnt really watch tv. I clean when she is eating her snacks (we eat all big meals together), or when she is playing alone. I am a big supporter of independant play. She can play by herself for 15-20 mins a few times a day
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2009