My 2 year old throws tantrums I have tried everything. Spanking ignoring it walking away and even cuddling( my mom suggested that) nothing works! any ideas out there?

cb51

Asked by cb51 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignoring the behavior and walking away does work. It will take some time before the child puts 2 and 2 together but if you are consistant, every single time it will get better. If you need to say "I will not talk to you when you are throwing a fit" then walk out of their sight. Do not go back. Do not pick them up. Don't say a word other than to repeat that you aren't listening while they are throwing a fit. It will try yuour last nerve...but hang in there. Once they realize Mom is serious and the behavior gains nothing they will stop. Does it mean they will never have another fit?..Of course not but they will not be routine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• How about trying 1 form of discipline and sticking to it. When you attempt too many, it confuses kids. Start with time out. for every tantrum they must stay in time out until they calm down PLUS 1 minute for every year of age. I started this when she was 18 months and she learned quick that being calm got her out of the chair quicker, and she does not like having to sit still. I practice this no matter where we are...store, mall, gas station....it's amazing what is in some of the food we eat (reading labels to pass time when she's in time out)

If time out doesn't start working after 30 days, try some thing different...the point is you have to start with one form and stick with it long enough to see if you will get the results you desire.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree, ignoring it does work.

Mine threw a fit the other day because I wouldn't carry him in the house. I had other things to carry in. So I walked to the house, set my stuff inside, and grabbed my book that was by the door, and sat down on the steps and told him that he could sit in the driveway and cry until he's done. And then he could walk in the house with me. I told him that I was NOT going to carry him inside. And I sat on the porch and read my book and ignored him. He cried for a few more minutes and then walked up to me and we walked into the house together.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• well, If my almost 2 year old throws fits or does his famous WHINING ( ugh) then I pick him up or take him by the hand and bring him to his room and tell him he can come out when he's done whining/crying. ANd I keep putting him back there until he is really ALL DONE. Then he needs to tell me what he wants or show me what he wants when its not in that whining trantrum mode. I am still working on what to do in store as that is our newest Issue - I think he's going to be banned from coming with me there for a while cause ignoring him while he screams in the cart isn't working
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Ignoring tantrums has worked for me as well but it does take time. I completely ignore him once the trantrum has started because I noticed that if said anything at all to me (including just telling him I wouldn't deal with him until he stopped) it just wound him up again. You can also try redirecting his attention. Go someplace where he can see you and play with something. Make sure he can see part of what you're doing but not all. Curiosity will often get the better of them. Youc an also talk about how much fun you're having doing whatever you're doing. I agree that you need to stick with one method (although combining ignoring the tantrum with redirecting will work) and give it time to work.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Time outs work for me. I have two time out spots in the house and my son knows that he has to sit there until he calms down. This took a lot of time, effort, and consistency but it works.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 5:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009