My son (almost 3yrs) closes one eye when he is pointing to something. Is this common for little ones or should I make an appointment with a...

pediatric opthamologist? I am just concerned that he needs to close that eye to focus on what he is looking at. Does your child do this too? He will be three in November.

SunshineandBlue

Asked by SunshineandBlue at 9:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son will be 2 in Nov He's going through a stage ( hopefully ) of closing his eyes and running or just closing them off and on. I think it is probably more because the viewing looks different when they close the one eye.. if it seems TOO often or all the time then maybe.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'd mention it to your pediatrician first and see what they recommend. It could just be a phase. One of my nephews went through a phase of looking out the corner of his eye when watching TV. Stopped pretty much as abruptly as it started..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I did call his pediatrician's office and they recommended that I have him seen by the opthamologist. So I am hoping it is nothing concerning. It is just that he always does it with the same eye and seems to do it when focusing at a distance.
    SunshineandBlue

Answer by SunshineandBlue at 11:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Definitely check it out. When my daughter was 6 and doing her homework she covered up her left eye and asked me, "mommy, which eye can YOU see better out of when you cover the other one up?" She had never expressed difficulty w/vision prior to this. Turns out she has very poor vision in that eye and that her right eye had been compensating well enough but needed glasses. The opthamologist told me that if it had been caught sooner they could have tried to correct it by patching the good eye and retraining the weaker eye... hope this is not the case for you but just wanted to share my story with you so you can be as informed as possible. Best wishes!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Thank you momrocks! I will definitely have it checked into! Thank you to everyone who reposonded. I just wanted to get a feel if this was a fluke or something to be concerned about. I hate to be the mom who calls the doctor everytime something happens!
    SunshineandBlue

Answer by SunshineandBlue at 3:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• that was supposed to be *responded*!
    SunshineandBlue

Answer by SunshineandBlue at 3:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009