How do I get my 18mo old to stop using/looking for her paci?

I never used a paci with my 4 other kids, however, I broke down and used the paci with my 5th. She is now 18mos and I really want her to stop using it. Any suggestions on how I can distract her from using the paci (especially at nap/bedtime)?

JassySan

Asked by JassySan at 5:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• soak in vinegar, and if you give in to give her one, give her the vinegar soaked one. Im sure she wont want them after that! :-)
    sarajo23

Answer by sarajo23 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• #1... Cut the Tip Off - The Child will not like sucking on air and pretty much stay off of it.
    #2... If you have a Build a Bear workshop or something like that, take her with her paci. When they start stuffing the animal, have her put the Paci inside of it. This way, she can still have the Paci, but in her stuff animal. -and she can sleep with it! :)

Good Luck!
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 5:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• What I had to do with mine is act like I couldn't find it! I ended up hiding it one day because he was like almost 3 already!! He kept looking for it & he was whinny but I just kept saying I couldn't find it! It took a couple of days but he got over it & forgot about it!
    supermomof6

Answer by supermomof6 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• "soak in vinegar, and if you give in to give her one, give her the vinegar soaked one. Im sure she wont want them after that!"

Please do not do anything like this!
    No bashing of the Mom who posted this!
    In one state a very young Mom put cyanne pepper, and yes, I know I am probably spelling it wrong, on her baby's thumb so she would stop sucking it, and the baby died, and she was charged with murder. Many states are charging parent for doing anything like this as abuse or murder.

Find out what your child's favorite thing is, be it a toy, blanket, or food and she just can't have both at the same time.
    Cutting the tip off is good, but make sure the remaining pieces are stable.
    Anonymous

• I don't agree with most of the post made. I didn't give my kids the paci but they are addicted to the bottle. So one day I took the bottle after she went to sleep well i told her to look and find it she couldn't so we stopped using it. worked for us. don't do anything drastic like vinegar or cutting the top. I'd be scared if any part came off it would be my fault. good luck!
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 5:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I've had many people tell me that they used the Build a Bear workshop technique with their kids. My son quit using his at 2 years old, he never was very attached to it though. But he just randomly quit with it. The one I've heard of the most though is people helping the child "lose" it. I think my mom said with my sister once she let her leave hers outside and then when she got up from her nap she had told her the dog took it! Not the nicest thing maybe, but she didnt want it again!
    BeckNAiden

Answer by BeckNAiden at 7:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I just stopped giving it to them :-) They cried, they whined at night time. My kids only ever got it at nap time and bed, when weaning I took it away from the nap time...so I only had to deal with going to bed at night. The first night I was up for hours cuddling and rocking to sleep, the second was ALOT better only about an hour...the third it was forgotten. If you want it done quickly, YOU have to put in the time, so its not traumatic for them. GOOD LUCK
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 2 yr old has a paci, so I have her give it to me when she wakes up, and she gets it back at bedtime. We put it in the bathroom linen closet and she is fine with that.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• What I did, was the same thing when I was weaning my kids from the bottle. Took it away COMPLETELY! Take her around the house show her that there is no more paci's and she'll just have to do without it! I know it sounds mean, but it worked, not right away of course. I believe it took 2-3 days!
    LaniGirl72

Answer by LaniGirl72 at 6:19 AM on Jun. 22, 2008