Am I turning my son into a mama's boy?

My cousin recently asked if she could take my not-quite-three-month-old son overnight and I politely told her no. She said I was too close to him and that I appeared to be suffering from separation anxiety. She said that I was going to turn him into a mama's boy. I'm not sure I'm ready to let him go overnight yet but when is it appropriate to allow that? Is it really that bad that I don't want him to yet?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 10:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Haha your cousin is a trip....Your infant baby is SUPPOSED to want his momma...I would have made her feel very silly if I was in your place for even asking to take such a small baby for the night for not reason at all. Unless you felt you were ready and needed that break, fine, let a sitter take him, but if you do not feel comfortable and would be worried all night, what is the use of that?! She wont be able to comfort your baby like you can. Does she have any kids herself? I doubt it because I find that people who overstep their boundaries with new mothers often do not have children themselves and have no idea what it is like. Similiar to my damn neighbors popping over all the time since the day my baby was born. I finally had to give a strong message that calls are required before deciding you would like to visit with my baby. There is nothing wrong with you being attached to your son or him being a mommas boy right now.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My 13mth old has yet to stay the night away from me and probably wont for a long time. Dont feel bad. At 3mths- HE IS A MAMAS BOY! I think it would be hard on him to be away from you at that age as well as you. Babies are supposed to be mamas babies... they rely on you and depend on you nothing wrong with that
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• No, he's still pretty small. A lot of people wait until they are about a year old until they let their baby spend the night elsewhere. Come on aren't all babies attached to their mama at that age? If he's ten years-old and still doesn't want to be away from you ever, then we'll talk about being a mama's boy, but for now....do what you're comfortable with. He's still very young.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:17 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Well both my kids had, had overnights by that age. But that doesnt' mean that you are gonna turn him into a mama's boy. Some moms just aren't ready to be away from baby by then, nothing wrong with that
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• OMG your cousin is jealous and trying to make you feel bad. Does she have any children? I would never let my 3 month old baby spend the night out she is crazy!!!
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 10:21 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• no your not bad for this, it's still early and he's still a newborn, no way would I do it. And most of the time boys are mommas boys but he's still real young to know that too. Tell her she can spend the night with you guys and help out all she wants!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree that your cousin has WAY overstepped her boundaries.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• that's horrible that she said that to you and would actually make me never want her to ever watch him EVER,. my son is 22 months old and I still LOVE to be around him and rarely let my sister babysit or anything - I get told that all the time- that's ok by me if he's a mama's boy.!! i don't want to be away from him anyway -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• not at all,my 15month old isnt going anywere over night until she can call and say goodnight and tell me if anyone hurt her.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• anyway its a great feeling to have someone love u that much.let him be a mams boy until hes 18 if u want
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2009