Potty training, help!!!!!

I started trying to potty train my 2 year old son yesterday. He is sitting on the potty when I ask him to with no fuss. Ocassionally he will even go pee in his potty, but this morning he sat on the potty for 5 mins and got up. He had peed in his potty but then peed some more on the floor. So I told him it was ok and cleaned it up. Later I heard him grunting and went in and asked him if he wanted to go poop on his potty. So he took his underwear off and sat on the potty for a few minutes and got up and started crying then peed in the floor. I told him it was ok mommy would clean it up it was no big deal. Its like hes peeing in his potty but not getting it all out at once so then he pees again int the floor.So Im wondering if its too soon.

swtcheeks418

Asked by swtcheeks418 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may need to learn how to pee standing up instead of sitting down. Get some cheerios and have him sink the boats. Some boys just don't get the sitting to pee thing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Good tip about standnig up... however, my daughter trained early and had the same problem. I think she was just not emptying her bladder completely and I explained to her (in a way she could understand) how to "squeeze the rest out..." I don't think it means it's too early, sounds like he is doing great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It does sound like he's doing great. When I potty trained my boys I had a very hard time. We tried numerous potty chairs, thinking if we made it fun they would be more apt to go (we even bought the potty chairs that had the play flusher and you recorded a message, when the kid flushed it played the message..I thought it was really cute and thought for sure that would do it) NONE of those worked. What did kind of work was just the cheapest potty chair that you can get for like 10$, and we did a reward system (although this was not an all peaches and cream experience LOL). Before the reward system they still had trouble getting to potty on time, so I tried to cut out the "middle man", and let them run naked thinking there was no way they couldn't get to the potty on time. Boy was I wrong, and had messes to prove it LOL. Then we put the reward system in place, use things he likes (we did hot wheels, and stickers). **See Below**
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 12:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• For every time they did either 1 or 2 in the potty, they got a sticker. If they made it the whole day without an accident on the floor, they got a hot wheel.
    Keep in mind also that many kids will learn when they have to pee, before they learn when they have to poop.
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 12:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2009