Tips for organizing your house....

I have one folder for kids school work, at the end of the week, I go through it, what ever I want I put in a box-which ever kid it is, the others I throw out.

What tips do you have???

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Put the kids up for adoption.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Not an option. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I have 2 of the 3 drawer plastic bins and use it in my toddlers room. She has 2 drawers for her kitchen play food and dishes, a drawer for her doll house furniture, a drawer for barbie and clothes, a drawer for baby clothes and babies, one for dress up, and one for other!

It makes it much easier when she wants to find a toy and i dont have to dig thru a huge toybox!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i got some of those crates for the kids toys and put em on the book shelf. and i got 3 marker boards to keep track of appointments, a daily to do list and the other is for jotting down items we run out of being i cant remember when it comes to making list, also use that one as a message board if some one calls and little reminders
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I use clear bins for toys organization. Never more than 2 bins out at a time. School work I do pretty much as OP stated. As for the rest of the house. Twice a year all closets get emptied and sorted. Anything that is outgrown goes. Anyuthing that hasn't been touched in a year (excepting heirlooms and keepsakes) goes. Every single night after supper regardless of how tired I am I make sure nothing has been piled on the bar or counters. If it is I call the owner. TThey have 5 mins to take care of it before it goes in the trash or off-limits and they get a consequence. Stacks of crap on kitchen tables, bars and counters is probably my number one intolerant pet peeve. I grew up with a pack rat, disorganization makes me nuts.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• When the girls were little I did what roxyann76 does. The girls are teens now so I just have a little boy. so it's the same way still just boy toys.

I also keep toys and there parts together. If it came together in the box from the store then it stays together in it's own basket or spot on the shelf. Each kid has a bookcase and they keep their own things in it, like books, stuffed animals, the older ones..cd's and pics
    Me and DH have our own junk drawers. There is a general drawer for misc. items
    Baskets are great in different sizes around the house for different things, like magazines, when my kids were babies I had one for diapers and wipes in the living room and one in the bathroom.
    small baskets are good for teens and their things. Earrings in one, hair ties in another. With 3 girls they each have their own basket for their own personal items. Of course a calender for keeping track of what everybody has going on
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:27 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• When I moved into our current home, I bought about six or seven Rubbermaid storage totes in varying sizes and colors. I numbered each lid, and then kept an inventory list of everything that went into each number. Since I packed in an organized way, I was able to unpack in the same way, so I did not end up with one last box full of misc. junk.

Since my beloved returned from Iraq, however, I have been running out of creative organization ideas! He has three large "tuff boxes", and several backpacks, rucksacks, and a menagerie of equipment and body armor. Our two-bedroom duplex is running out of room! I did make use of one "tuff box" though....I covered it with a neatly folded blanket, and ta-da....a coffee table! LOL
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• When it comes to my kids' rooms? I shut their doors! Seriously. They are 8 and 11, so sometimes it's a struggle to get them to clean!

When it comes to the rest of the house, I try as hard as possible to not have any clutter anywhere. When I'm de-cluttering or deep cleaning, I go by the 6 month rule.

If I haven't used it, touched it, seen it, etc. in 6 months - it has to go.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I follow a season rule when it comes to clothes.
    I clean out all closets and dressers at the end/beginning of each season (pack away the previous season's clothing, and unpack the new season), if I notice something that has not been worn that season, it goes to a GOODWILL box, and gets donated. If I see something that looks like it will be out-grown by it's owner it naturally gets handed down, if it looks like it will be outgrown by the smallest one by the start of the next season GOODWILL box. Other items are packed away and put in our storage room. Also when it comes to little kids, I've learned they do NOT need 20 outfits..they grow so fast they'd never have to wear them all. My kids have enough socks and underwear for 2 weeks each. They have 5 pairs of school pants, 5 pairs of school shorts, 5 navy blue shirts for school, and 5 red shirts for school (they have to wear uniforms). They have 7 pairs of shorts **See Below**
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 12:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• 7 pairs of pants, 7 tank tops, 7 t-shirts, 7 sweaters, 7 pair of summery pajamas (the kind with shorts), 7 pair of light pajamas (with pants), 7 pair of winter pajamas, 2 light coats, 2 medium coats, and 2 heavy coats each. They also have 2 pair of church shoes each, 2 pair of school shoes each, and 2 pair of going out shoes...as well as 7 outfits for going out. Since I divide by season, it makes for less laundry, more room in their dressers, and closets, and less laundry means a lower electric bill, and less work for me :).
    As far as papers, there is a trash can by my "mail" table, which is by my front door. All junk mail is sorted there (I keep the ads for the stores we shop at), and thrown into the trash. Bills and other mail is sorted on the spot and put into an "in box".
    I have a filing cabinet where all other important papers go, and bills are filed away as soon as they get paid.
    **See Below**
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 12:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2009