what do you do for depression?

I was put on zoloft after I had my son, he is 10 months now. We lost our insurance so I can't afford it anymore, and I can't afford to go to the doctors either. I'm very unhappy and its ruining my marriage. I want to be happy again. Is there any over the counter medication for depression? Or anything that might help that I can do without going to the doctor. Or any advice?? I'm a sahm, which I know has something to do with it. We have only one car, I'm home all day alone with the baby. I love it, but I wish I could get out more. My husband works weird hours, so I can't really take him and pick him up from work. I'm just stuck in a rut I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Health

• I dont know an answer to tell you other than you are NOT alone!!! I am currently looking for other meds now too - mine isnt so much depression as it is almost bi-polar. I hope you can get the help!
    aussiesma

Answer by aussiesma at 10:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry you are going trough this. I took Zoloft, as well as Prozac,effexor, all those damn pills. I'm telling you this from experience, you will get hooked..yes they might tell you, you have a chemical imbalance blah blah blah..my cure was getting out of the house..going for long walks. If you can work out at home, then do it. Working out is the best medicine! Good Luck mama...stay strong for your LO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Nothing I'm always depressed, I need meds but I'm pregnant, so I just suffer and try to make the most of my day, taking a shower helps me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• have you applied for medicaid? it will cover anything you need while pregnant. SAHM and pregnant can also contribute. i used to be a dancer- had a very active life. i've been sitting on my ass for 2 years now. i've gained 35 lbs, and can't figure out a way to get some frickin' exercise- nor do i want to do much either.my only friend is my sister and she's in the same boat-we were both small and are now huge. if you werent pregnant, i would suggest 5HTP- it's sold in health food stores- helps with depression and anxiety and slows your appetite- i think eating and depression are related. making friends and getting out will make it much better- we have one car also- and live on a busy road,so i can't really walk around the neighborhood. i want to start walking with the stroller, but it's been raining lately....
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• b vitamins can help, go to the doctor, I know its expensive, but a lot of doctors will make payment arrangements (mine takes $15 a month payments) if you call and talk to them first. Get your doctor to change you to something generic, then go to walmart and get the $4 a month pills. Also, if you know what you are taking, call around and find out how much it is at different pharmacy. I know when I was on anti-depressants it was a huge difference from pharmacy to pharmacy (like $25 between highest and lowest). Good luck, your not alone. I made it out of that hole and I know you can too with a little bit of help.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Getting out of the house is probably going to be the BEST medicine for you. Do you live where you can go for a walk with the baby? Or is there a bus route near you, you could take a small "field trip". I know where we live it's kind of semi-country, I have two trails I can go for a walk on, and about a mile up the road (it's a major highway though, so I've got to be careful), I can walk to the convenience store (gas station), a little further up from there is a bus stop (on a median in the highway), I could catch the bus if I thought I wouldn't get run over waiting there with a restless kid. Also join some groups here, find some moms in your area, even if they could come over to your house for a playdate with the kids, and some adult conversation :).
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 11:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes, get out of the house, go walking, go to the park, walk around the neighbood.
    I also was suggest st john wort herb pills, youc an get them at walgreens. I tried them, they made me feel better. I hadnot used them, but they do work. I stuggle with this, so i put on christian music, read, get on cm and talk to other moms. I text, i join the text moms groups. Take drives in the car, and spend time with thegirls, the other day i got out cause a friend invited me to play tennis.. it was fun, and strange.. i need to do more things like that.. so hang in there, you will feel better soon, do have a bible to read? read little a day...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Sep. 26, 2009