luminaries?

I have tons of plastic milk jugs which I feel guilty throwing away (we dont have city recycling pickup and the county dump started a $100 membership fee which we cant afford), so I am holding on to them, hoping for good use lol. I made 2 bird feeders so far. I was thinking about making some candle luminaries, for holidays. if you have made these before, may I have some instructions and project ideas?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Milk jugs make good craft storage...cut the tops off---like a quater of the way down-just...put some tape on the edges and VIOLA! storage "boxes"

but for the luminaries---cut an arch shape piece out the back, insert candle(i like the flameless ones- so the jugs dont melt) can color the inside w/ markers or glue tissue paper for colors...

Im excited now---i gotta save my jugs and make some :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• before you cut the hole in the back for the candle, take a little bit of paint and pour it in and swirl around the inside. Makes for interesting color variations over just coloring/painting it. But I don't remember what paint we used to use :(
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes I'd hate for anything to catch on fire lol I'll keep my eye out for the flameless candles!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Call your local elementary school and see if they may need the jugs for craft projects or painting.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 9:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I save mine for plastic skeleton creations. You can find the pattern all over the web. They also make good masks turned upside down, or cut off the front, leave the handle, and plant something inside. (Looks better than it sounds.) If you cut off the top you can save that part to use as a funnel, flip it over.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 1:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Cut out a pattern of butterflies different sizes and let little kids finger paint them and when dry take black maker and draw on details and spray with clear finish and fold the wings and either put hole in them to hang in room or glue magnet on back and stick on refrid. if you do it for decorating your self to hang in trees, they look better in 3D, double the same fly and glue together! Humming bird pattern is cute too! Be sure to leave the 2 tintrals on it's head and hang from butt or if double then wing! Use diamonds for the eyes! If done right they can look elegant! Just look at pictures! Make a mobile out of them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Cut off top and put sand in them and stick candle in middle! If Halloween stamp or paint pumkins on them and if christmas paint poinsettas on them, just keep an eye on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2009