Displine your step kids? Agree or Disagree?

I agree because if the step father/or mother is raising them then why should they not do their job.

That is what a parent is for, especially when the biological father/mother is not around.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Agree...my DH is my oldest DD step-dad but hes raised her since she was 1---shes 8 now. They have a father/daughter relationship.
    She spends more time w/him (DH) in a day then she does w/her biological dad in 2 months.

bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• well if your taking care of them then sure.... why not.
    my husband tells me if he's acting bad or he did something bad then put him in time out!

but if my husbands home he deals with it.
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 10:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• If you have full custody, the bio-mom is out of the picture, and are a SAHM raising them most of the time and you have been in the child's life since a very very young age, then yes, you will need to discipline.

In most other circumstances, no. You should be respected and you should have house rules that are followed, but I think it is up to the bio parents to discipline.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Its your house, its your right to enforce the rules agreed upon by your SO up to and including punishment.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes, if the child is acting up or not following rules you have to discipline them at the time of the incident. I think you should have a set punishment - like a time out and enforce it. You cannot let it go until the parent gets home, cause by then the child will have forgotten what they did. Then when the parent gets home tell them what happened that day, and then the parent should talk to his/her child about the incident.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:19 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Your home, your rules. Even if they are uncivilized at the other parents home in your home YOUR rules apply.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I wish my husband, who is not the bio dad to my 3 girls, would get it through his head that I want him to step up to the plate and be a dad....Not bitch to me in private and tell me what to do and how to handle my kids. I have told him hundreds of times
    "you are their only father figure step up and tell them how you feel and what you want them to do, use your voice. air your opinion...quit telling me what to do like your MY DAD"

Yes the step parent should be a parent.....they have to live with the kids as well and the bio parent gets out of the whole parenting thing.....well those that have chosen to check themselves out of their kids' lives
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think step-parents should discipline the step-children as well....but as a loving parent would. My mom was a step-mom for about a year (the boy ran away), and was horrible to him, because she did not want to raise someone else's child, at the same time, my step-father was very abusive as well. All parents, whether step or bio, need to discipline with love, and understanding, not anger.
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 10:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• This is not a black and white issue. Step parents need to have a relationship built on shared positive experiences not step in and just assume the role of disciplinarian. Step parents need to understand that because there isn't a natural bond extra attention needs to be given to build a strong bond. It's unfair to the children to be expected to have a good relationship with a person who comes in and forces new rules and expectations without discussion.
    lvnmylif

Answer by lvnmylif at 2:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2009