Officer! Your HAIR!!!

Is this racial discrimination?
White officer ordered to get rid of cornrows hairstyle, while black officers wear the without restriction. (Albeit, any white person with cornrows looks silly, it IS a permissible hairstyle...)

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/59967627.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• of course it's discrimination! and i totally agree about the "any white person with cornrows looks silly" part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes, it is racism-How can they say it is not.

I am not a fan of cornrows when I was younger it was a cool thing. Some people do look nice in them, but I think it is for the younger generation.

It does not give someone the right to say your white you can't wear that hairstyle, your black you can't have that hair color. I hate hearing that. Who cares?? Do what you want? Where your hair How you want too!!!

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Perhaps. No officer white, black or polka dotted should wear them. IMHO.  Doesn't look professional and may detract from the officers level of authority.  Some may see him as just another regular Joe instead of someone who authority should be respected.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• No because a black officer with corn rows was told to cut his hair as well.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• This is from the article:

"While dozens of black officers across the city wear cornrows, Officer Thomas Strain is white. So when the five-year veteran showed up for work Sept. 3 with the traditionally black hairstyle, it didn't take long for his colleagues - or his bosses - to notice."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• That particular hairstyle is so unusual on white people in general that it may distract from his duties. I know if a white officer with cornrows were to ticket me, I would be falling over laughing. Other than that, it's his hair, and if some officers are allowed to wear cornrows, any officer who wants to should be able to. If they are not allowed to because of race, then yes, of course it is discrimination. It is neat and trim, but it does look silly on a white person. I like the way it looks on black people.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:35 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• who really cares? it's hair if he really wants to wear it like that fine do it on his days off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Answered at 8:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 by: vbruno
    No because a black officer with corn rows was told to cut his hair as well.

I don't see that, source please?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2009