Do/Did you take any meds to help with Moods

I have been taking Xanax and I cannot tell one bit that it is helping. I am not what I would consider depressed, but I am a moody. I mean I can be fine, then something little sends me flying off the handle. It is going to effect my home life if I cant get it under control and I really dont want to be like this around my 3 yr old. BUT I am afraid of meds. Not really the meds - but the side effects and what will happen when I go off of them. ( I want to get pregnant in 2010)Plus I dont want to be out of it, if that makes sense. What do you do, Have you tried, Do you see a psychologist???? I know I am not alone - but my family is all shades of whacked out so I cant really have a conversation like this them (I personally believe it is heredity). I have read tons of self-help get happy books, but I see no help with those either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Health

• I have rapid cycle bi-polar and i take a medication called Geodon. It is literally my savior. I also take prozac and a medication to help me sleep (seroquel). I do see a psychiatrist and psychologist once a month. If you feel like you need help then get it.

I won't lie, there is always an adjustment period when starting meds but once that is over and you feel better you'll probably think it's worth it. I am like two different people when I'm on/off meds and for the sake of my family I have to stay on.

Good luck with things.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Id see a professional to figure out why the little things set you off. Could be PTSD or generalized anxiety disorder. Xanax is not the best med if it's not working for you, plus it is very addictive when on it for longet than 3 months. If it's not helping you, then either the dose is to low or it's the wrong medication. You also DONT want to be on it if your TTC. Best of luck to you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:14 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Psychiatrists can give prescriptions for medication, psychologists can not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 23, 2009