how can i get my two year old to stop saying oh f*ck

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, first off I would make sure no one else says it in front of him. Secondly I would try not to make a big deal of it and hopefully he will forget. I would start saying something else that's harmless, lik "Oh, Cheese!" or something like that and make a big deal when he repeats it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You can stop him by being consistent in the discipline. Meaning, when he says a bad word, he's punished for saying it. I'm not talking about a whooping or beating the child, I'm talking about letting him know that that word cannot be used and he's put on a time out or something he loves to have everyday is taken away from him until he begins to use better words.

Ignoring it will not make it go away...using other phrases similiar to "Oh S***" will not make it go away either. At two years old, kids are like sponges...what they hear, they say without giving a second thought to where they are and who's around when they say bad words...If you want it to stop, you must take an affective approach to dismantle the potty mouth.
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 11:50 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• have him learn by example! make sure you or anyone else doesnt slip and say it in front of him. make sure he isnt possibly watching a movie or show with cursing. i have read in parents magazine, that one method is to just ignore it. getting riled up and telling him not to say it, might encourage him to say it since he knows it strikes your nerves. and the PP had a good suggestion! say something silly like "oh cheese" or "oh no!"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• how about not cursing in front of your child? this is your fault. i feel for the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Hey anon :47 how do you know she says it in front of her kid? he might have picked it up somewhere else.. jeez some women on here are so quick to judge and say such nasty things. anyway i agree with PP if he knows that it gets to you it'll only want to make him do it more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• why is he saying that in the first place is there someone in the house teaching him or saying it first u need to stop anyone in the house from saying it around the child then tell the child to stop and tell the child that is a bad word.
    tracesmom2007

Answer by tracesmom2007 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think it's funny how people are so quick to judge the house...kids can pick these things up ANYWHERE. People outside of your home have no worries about your child, and very FEW people anymore watch their language when a child is around. There have been several cases when my children and I have been out in a public place, like Wal-Mart, and someone in the same aisle will be talking to someone else, and just cursing like they are the only ones there. I'm the first to speak up about that, you want to curse, fine, do it in the privacy of your own.
    As far as getting the little one to stop using bad language (I've had this problem, and sometimes still have that problem, with my middle son). Everytime he said the word we talked about how it was a bad word, and came up with a different expression (as a matter of fact "oh cheese!" was one of them), and then he was rewarded for using the alternate expression, rather than the curse
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 6:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009