I need advice from moms with kids that have ADHD

My son just went in for his 5 yr check up. He will be 5 in a few weeks. The Dr said he was borderline ADHD and would like him tested next year when he goes to school. she believes this will give her a better idea if she she recommend further testing.
My son is great when it's me and him. When we are in public or other family members come home at the end of the day and he's just wild, won't listen, interrups, doesn't take "NO" for answer. His father is useless. I do everything for my son while his father just sits motionless on his beer drinking Butt. It would actually be easier to be a single parent.
Anyway my son runs, jumps, hops,spins races through the house, climbs up the stairs railing useing his feet against the wall as he pulls himself up the railing. climbs counters even the shelves in the pantry.
He hates all food except junk food which his dad gives allows him to eat against my wishes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My child doesn't have ADHD, but 5 seems too early to diagnose it. Kids this age are NORMALLY hyper and have short attention spans.

I'm not asking this to be mean, but have you considered that it may just be the high amounts of sugar in the junk food?

If I were you, I would have a serious conversation with the "father" about his lack of help. There could be all kinds of issues going on with your child because his father doesn't seem to be involved.

I have a very difficult 4 year old and when her behavior becomes out of control like you described, she gets alone time sitting in a chair facing away from the rest of the family or even in her room until she can behave again. My husband has also made her do exercises as punishment when she seems like she has a lot of energy that needs to be gotten out.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It very well could be your son's diet that is affecting him, excess sugar and caffeine certainly could make a child hyper. That certainly would be the first place to start, cut out some of the junk food and explain to your husband why your son shouldn't be eating the bad food. ADHD has many symptoms, my dd was diagnosed at age 6. Can your son sit and concentrate on a coloring page or television show, or does he always need to be up and moving? Can he accomplish simple tasks like picking up his toys or putting on his shoes without you having to move him along? Do you have to constantly remind him to do things? I would have him evaluated by a child psychiatrist just for your own peace of mind. ADHD is so common now, and can be treated many different ways not just with meds. You can pm me if you have other questions.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree, work on his diet first, that could be the whole problem there. Could also be he is trying to get attention from his dad. There are a number of things, you may have to think outside the box, but I would definitely fix the diet first :).
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 6:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009