For Military Wives and Soldier Moms....What do you do with all this darned equipment?!

I moved into our cozy two-bedroom duplex while my beloved was overseas. Our new home was spotless and very organized....until he returned. Suddenly, I found my neat little enviroment stuffed with three big "tuff box" trunks, body armor, misc. equipment, a menagerie of backpacks and rucksacks, and more ACU sets than he could possibly need! We do not have any kind of storage building in our yard, and the small space in the laundry room is stacked nearly to the ceiling already. So far, I have only made use of one piece....I draped a neatly folded striped blanket over a "tuff box" to make a sort of coffee table. Help!

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We always rented a 3 bedroom. One bedroom was just for his stuff. Or rented a place with a big storage room or big closet.

Answer by louise2 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• tell him to get a storage unit, that stuff is filthy and is just clutter. you can usually find some close to his work on base for cheap
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Most of his stuff stays in his ready bag in the trunk of his car, so I don't see it or deal with it. We are lucky though our housing is really old and has a large basement, that leaks, so we but all the stuff up on cinder blocks. See if it fit under the bed, or can the bed go up to add more storage? This house has the most storage we have had, I am in shock being that it is on base housing. Get creative and good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I am seriously considering just building a mobile storage shed. My mother lives out in the country and always has plenty of spare lumber and other such materials on hand.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Sorry to say this but it only gets worse. Not only do they have all the gear that is issued to them and uniforms, but they buy their own gear, they get ahold of all kinds of manuals that they think they need to keep, etc.

My husband has been in for almost 9 years and we're on recruiting duty, which means we don't have gear issued to him. And we still have about 12 tuff boxes full of army stuff.

The best thing you can do is either rent a storage room or buy/build a storage shed. Make sure that he goes through all of it and organizes it, and labels each box, so when he needs something for the next morning (and he always will), he'll be able to go through his stuff and find it easily.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• LOL, excuse me... foot lockers... They're called foot lockers.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We've been very lucky with our military housing. We've always seemed to have either an empty closet or a large storage space (sometimes both!) or outdoor shed which houses his stuff quite nicely. However, I am tired of it being stacked in my closets now so I am having him go through and get rid of everything he possibly can. I mean really, some of it is stuff he has has for 10-12 years and has been in a bag this whole time, what could he possibly need it for if he's not even gotten it out in 12 years? LOL so I am making him get rid of it before we move to another house in November.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I have the same issue AprilDJC. I think he could certainly take a lot of his stuff to the Army surplus store. Why does he need 16 sets of ACUs?! He goes through the same four sets every week!
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would ask him to reduce the quantity of what he has and if there is still too much to store in your home then ask him to put the bins in a storage unit. A very small storage unit costs very little.
    Home Depot and Lowe's also sells these durable plastic sheds that are smaller than typical sheds that can be placed in the corner of a tiny yard and a lock can be used for security, if that is an option.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009