Toddler in the car

I commute an hour each way for work with my 14 month old child. She goes to daycare right down the street from my office. Up until a week ago, no problems, she would sleep in the car, eat a snack, drink something, listen to me sing crazy songs, etc. without major problems (of course there are the cranky moments, especially with teething and having to sit still). NOW, she has decided she doesn't want to be in the car and screams, bangs her legs, wacks the window and her face, and everything else to cause me to throw anything I have in the front seat to her to see if she will stop. She has totally gotten the best of me and now our commutes are torture for both of us. Any suggestions? I have tried stuffed animals, books, etc, but nothing seems to keep her attention for even a second, she just takes it and throws it. HELP!

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 12:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she on the outboard of the car or is she in the middle seat? If she isnt in the middle, move her there so she cant touch much of anything in the car. And turn the music up. She will soon realize that her tantrums wont get her her way and it will stop. My oldest did this, and one thing that did also help was we burned a CD with kid songs and played them and sang to them when we were in the car...
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You may also want to see if something has happened at the day care. Try Auntimom's suggestion first (we always put our temper tantrum child in the middle of the seat...it's a different child each time, but they are prone to things, like wacking their heads on the windows, trying to open the car door, and a number of other things). But with the way society is nowadays, anything can be happening anywhere. If the tantrums continue, you should figure out what changed that caused them to start.
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 6:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009