ghosts

My dd keeps waking up at night. She is five. She tells she sees a little ghost sitting on her chair when she wakes up. Im not sure how to handle this. I tell her its her dreaming and put her back to bed. Mind you she is not scared of what she is seeing. Should I believe her and just keep on that it is her imagination?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• What is her conception of a ghost?

What is the lighting like? Is there something appearing as a ghost?

Although young children have an uncanny ability to see the supernatural, they wold not call it a ghost. They would tll you it was a man, woman, or child and the gender.

Sounds like she heard some story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My son "saw a ghost" when he was three. He was awake, in his room, I was on the phone, and I wouldn't come when he called me. LOL, so it's my fault. He said it was floating near the ceiling, wearing my pink nightgown. [I hadn't worn that gown in a while, but he found it in my room and said "this one"]/ He still remembers (he's 18) and does believe it was a ghost. He said he told it to go away and it didn't, so he spit at it and then it went through the wall. He was very excited about it, once I paid attention to him. I was surprised he said "ghost" at the time, but he did.
    As far as your daughter, I like the previous answer about what is her idea of a ghost and I would also ask her at this age, what does she want you to do about it? Maybe add a nightlight, take away a nightlight, rearrange the furniture. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We have a ghost in our house. It is a little girl in a blue dress. We have all seen her as have friends and family that have come over. My daughter has seen her and calls her "the little girl monster". She has seen her in her room and in the hallway. She is not scared of her and is very matter of fact when she tells me about seeing her. When she says she sees it ask her what it looks like and if it has a name. Just tell her to tell the ghost goodnight and go back to sleep. Weather imagination or "real" don't make a big deal about it or she will keep waking up and making a big deal about it to get YOUR attention at night.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009