RICE CEREAL

If I have started my daughter on rice cereal, and she spits it right back out...does this mean she needs more practice and to continue giving it to her and she will get the hang of the swallowing thing? Or does it mean that she is too young?? Im not saying her age because that always messes everyones answers up...but her doctor said she should start on it :) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rice cereal is nutritionally pointless. It's just artificial vitamin fortified flakes of preservatives. A doctor isn't a nutrition expert. If she's not AT LEAST 6 months, she's too young. If she spits it right back out, she's too young. Around 7-9 months, try veggie purees instead.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'd say that she's probably not ready. How old is she? I don't recommend rice cereal to ANYONE.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• She is not ready yet. Introducing solids is not a race that anyone should want to win. The longer you delay solids the better it is for baby.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• She should be at least 4 months old and if she still has the "tongue thrust" she's not quite ready. However, there is some small component of "practice makes perfect" to learning to eat.

If your doctor recommended it, give it a few more tries but don't push. YOU have to make the judgement call...YOU have to decide to continue or just hold off and wait another few weeks.

Solids should be started between 4 and 6 months. Starting too early or too late can possibly lead to an increased CHANCE of the POTENTIAL to develop POSSIBLE food allergies or the production of a hormone which MIGHT lead to diabetes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• first off, all solids are 'nutritionally pointless' in the first year, so don't worry when people act like rice cereal is arsenic.
    second, I would just wait afew days/weeks and try it again. She'll get the hang of it :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing with my DD. I'm going to keep trying gently and I'm sure she'll eventually get the hang of it. My son did. BTW, don't let anyone discourage you about the whole thing with rice cereal being pointless and all that. They come out of the woodwork whenever someone types rice cereal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009