so what's the difference between early contractions and braxton hicks?

ever since i woke up ive been having one or the other and they come along every few minutes or so.. im not worried because they are very short and theres no pain to them what so ever... and im sure its just false labor aaggaaiinn.. but when i was being monitored last time i was at the dr's to make sure i wasnt ruptured they said i was having full blown out contractions and it felt like just braxton hicks.. didnt have very many then though... so they let me go home. but yah anyways i was just wondering what the most obvious sign is your having REAL contractions and if your baby can be active when your in real labor cause my little girl is always kicken or poken her butt out of my side lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are that far along and want to tell te diference, I was once told by a doctor that a small glass of wine would stop Braxton Hicks.

Why didn't you ask your doc this question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I would probably call the dr and see if you can sit with the monitor again. There may not be any difference for you. I would also ask for an exam to see if you are dilating. That will give you a good idea if these are real contractions or not.
    mommie_2boys

Answer by mommie_2boys at 12:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i asked her and the best answer she could give me is "if they creep out from your back or sides and if they are getting stronger with time they're real contractions"... but i dont notice where they start off at and unless they hurt like they rarely do i dont really notice the severity of them either... the other day they said i was dilated at 2 and the nurse told me the menstrual cramping (when it gets really bad) usually means im dilating.. i have gotten a little bit of cramping with my BH or contractions or w/e they are lol but its not THAT bad....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I wish I could help. I'm going through the same thing. With my first, I never had one contraction and my water broke. I was telling DH there needs to a red flag attached to us to tell us. He said that their should just be a pop up button that says the baby is ready (like a turkey), lol.
    acholt21

Answer by acholt21 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2009