Weaning my toddler-he's drinking 4-bottles a night! How do I get him to 1 bottle?

My 18-month old seems to be doing fine with having a bottle at bedtime (the last time of day I have been breast-feeding for the last few months). We're trying to move him to his bed with a bottle, and the move seems fine with him.

My husband and I take turns putting him to bed and sitting with him while he nurses himself to sleep. However, he wakes up every 2 hours and wants a bottle. As soon as we give him a bottle, he drinks it down and falls back asleep. He is up to 4 bottles a night!

Is this normal? Should we be trying to get him to 1 bottle a night? I realize he might be going through a growth spurt, but I think it has to do with access to breastfeeding all night, which is what he has been doing for a few months---staying latched on to me for hours at night, and I felt we should move to the next stage with a bottle.

Any suggestions?
Wendy

Wendy580

Asked by Wendy580 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• your 18 month old should not be on a bottle at all. bottles are for babies, 12 months or younger. doctors recommend a sippy cup by now. i think you should throw out the bottle and start to worry about your child's teeth that you have let milk sit on all night over and over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Why is he still using a bottle at 18 months? He needed to be weaned earlier. 4 times waking up at night is a learned condition.
    Anonymous

• Why is he even eating in the middle of the night? You need to get him on an age-appropriate schedule and on a sippy cup or straw cup. At 18 months, he should not be having anything to do with a bottle, especially at night. He should be eating meals during the day with milk and juice or water that should satisfy him so that he should not have to wake up. If he should wake, read or sing him back to sleep, but don't offer him food. It may be difficult, but you need to make sure he switches to a better schedule for his age.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• He shouldn't be getting even ONE bottle! He should be eating enough table food through the DAY that he doesn't need anything at night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You should have him off the bottle a long time ago. I took my son off the bottle at 12 months
    tracesmom2007

Answer by tracesmom2007 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Not all kids fit into a nice little box (that being said, you should be concerned about something called baby bottle mouth, google it). My son didn't take to a sippy until he was 15 months old. Give him something filling for dinner/night time snack and if he wakes up, only give him water. He's waking out of habit, not need.

jms124

Answer by jms124 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009