What do you feed your toddlers?

What do you feed your toddlers for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks? I feel like I'm in a rut and feeding them the same things: hot dogs, macaroni & cheese, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets...they are not big on fruits and veggies although I try to introduce them..they wind up on the floor. I need some new ideas!!

Asked by 2coolmama at 9:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I hear ya I'm in the same boat as you, I tried a ham and cheese sandwich today on my 1 yr. old and he loved it. I also give him raveoles but I rinse off the sauce. he loves pizza rolls and the mini pizza bagels, they like both plan cheese and pepp. a barreto also works if you cut it in little bit sized pieces.

Answer by workenmom at 10:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• try waffles or muffins, instant oatmeal with the berries, wrap the hot dog in a crescent, ham and cheese, quesadillas, smoothies, making a bagel-wich, or a waffle-wich... remeber that kids are very visual and like to explore and get into things. if it looks fun and colorful then chances are the kid will think it is fun, and want to like it.

Answer by hiddenpoet at 11:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You are creating picky eaters. Feed them what you would eat at the table...

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I cannot believe that you ladies are feeding your children all that JUNK FOOD. As a treat, my two children (2 and 1) are allowed mac and cheese once every few weeks. Breakfast, grapes, strawberries, whole grain toast, 2% milk. Snacks, cashews, fruits, celery, carrots, raisins, whole grain crackers. Lunch: block cheese cubes, fruits, (hot dogs every once in a while), whole wheat pretzels....snack items put together. Dinner: it's what we eat..either chicken or a meat of some kind, and lots of veggies. You moms need to change the way you feed your kids or they will have to deal with the bad eating habits later on in life. I am not blaming any of you personally b/c there are just so many ppl out there now a days that do not relaize everything that is in the foods we eat. If you look on the nutrition lable and it says "HIGH FUCTOSE CORN SYURP" don't eat it or give it to your kids. Easy enough.

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• We do all kinds of things for my son. I keep bags of organic veggies (peas, corn, lima beans, green beans, and potatoes) in the freezer and just zap 1/2c. for meal times. He also gets pan fried (in olive oil) chicken, baked chicken, porkchops once in a GREAT while, and turkey. He loves fruit of any sort. Our biggest challenge is avoiding everything that he can't eat, and its a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG list.
    A normal day would look like this though:
    Breakfast: Nature's Path Gluten Free waffle, 1/4 fresh banana, MAYBE 1 organic chicken & apple sausage & a cup of formula
    Snack: Organic Corn thins or rice cakes
    Lunch: 1-2 slices polenta, or a few bites of chicken and 1/2c veggies & a cup of formula
    Dinner: 2oz meat (chicken or turkey usually, occasionally pork), 1/2c. veggies and 1/4c. potato or grain and a few bites of fruit & a cup of formula.
    Once in a great while he'll get about 3 baby spoonfulls of Raspberry Sorbet, as a big treat.

Answer by mom2ljh at 10:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I agree with the anonymous post. All of that processsed food is terrible!! Give them plenty of fuits and vegetables. Make some grilled food. I use my crockpot a lot, find some good recipes. You are asking for juvenile diabetes, and heart disease at an early age with the junk food!!

• Keep pushing the fruits and learn pretty quickly that they can push buttons and we'll give them whatever they want just so they eat.

My daughter does not like meat at all (she is 2) but we keep trying and she loves every single fruit, vegetable, bean out there. Stick to organic eggs and dairy (yogurt is a good lunch) too.

Answer by 1funkymomma at 3:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2008