After Gallbladder Surgery? (Possible TMI)

I had my gallbladder removed in February and they told me my bm's might be irregular for awhile but it's been 7 months now and I'm still having problems. Every time I eat I have to run to the bathroom, sometimes not even a half hour after I eat. I've tried altering my diet and it doesn't seem to change anything. And it's never the same. Sometimes I have diarrhea or I'm constipated but then sometimes it's just a normal consistency. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you resolve it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Health

• I had my surgery 10 years ago and I still have to run to the bathroom sometimes after eating. It is only in the last three years that my body started regulating itself better. So now I only have that problem occasionally.
    I have no advice, it just depends on your body makeup. I know people that have had no problems at all and people who have extreme problems forever.
    Hopefully your body will start regulating to the no gallbladder thing. Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I had mine 4 years ago and I still run for the bathroom. It will take time for your body to adjust to dealing with the foods. I was told it takes a good year for your body to compensate for not having the gallbladder. I dont get sick everytime i eat anymore but it is also hit and miss one day a salad will be fine the next i am instantly in the bathroom. Try to strat writting down which foods you eat that make you run, after a few months you will notice a pattern but also keep in mind that there will be times your body will tolerate it. My doctor told me that some who have the surgery will afterwards have whats caled "dumping syndrome" I have found that coffee or tea especially made with creamer or milk will send me running pretty quick, alfredo sauce, mayo (sometimes) anything deep fried will do the same. It will take time and you will find that pepto is your friend. For awhile i was on prilosec which helped.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ughh this is so annoying i have the same issues. i had mine out last october and have had nothing but those same exact problems since. i hate going out to eat because im afraid im gonna have to run straight for the bathroom...i just never know. im hoping it gets better soon myself, but GL to you too!
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i had mine removed last august and still have this problem its normal and is not something that will get better over time but will always occasionally come back just bear with it
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009