Does my 2 1/2 year old know when he has to go?

I thought my 2 1/2 year old son knew when he had to go pee, but since I've started trying to potty train him Im not so sure. He squats down when he has to go and gets a blank look on his face but I'll ask him if he has to go pee and he will say no and then pee in the floor.Is he just being stubborn or does he just not have the urge? please help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stubborn. He knows what he is doing if he is squatting and I know he can feel himself become wet afterwards. He knows he has to pee and just doesn't want to use potty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Oh, this is just him being stubborn. It's all a game, because they know you want them to go ON the potty and they don't want to go ON the potty. At that age they know the "feeling" of having to go. It's only a matter of time before he gets the connection of I NEED to go on the potty cause this is kinda gross. My kiddos weren't trained until almost 3 1/2... so sometimes it takes more time and LOTS of patience! GOOD LUCK!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It sounds like he is just being stubborn. My little girl is 2 1/2 and has been potty trained since about 2. My boys were totally potty trained between 18 mths and 2yo. Now that dd is 2 1/2 she will get so caught up in playing that she wont want to stop to go potty. We have to keep a close eye on her for signs that she has to pee and then make her go potty, because when we ask if she has to go (when it is obvious she does) she will say no and keep playing and then have an accident. GL
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You JUST started potty training? That's part of the problem you waited too long. I know these days people wait until their kids are almsot 3, but really by 18 months you should start them on potty training. The other part is you allow him to get the best of you, discipline him and let him know it's not acceptable to say no and pee on the floor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We did a sticker chart with yogurt covered raisins after x number of successful times. She loved it. I would start with a sticker for each successful pee and two for poo. Then after 5 stickers he gets a reward, it could be anything. As he masters it, extend the amount of stickers for each reward. I let mine pick out the cardboard paper, and help me make the chart. I let her pick the pack of stickers. Also once he has pretty well mastered it, let him pick out his big boy undies. He will get it soon.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009