Is it normal for a baby to be measuring 2 weeks ahead in the womb?

Do all babies measure ahead? What exactly does it mean? Does that mean I will have the baby 2 weeks early maybe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the measurments are just a guess. the kept telling me I was having a big 9 pound baby! but when she came out she only weighed 7 pounds 11.8oz. and I measured big my whole pregnancy
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• oh and she had to be delievered c-section, so size doesn't matter about the due date
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yep normal, the doctors could have your due date wrong, I swear mine with my first daughter was.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes it is.
    It doesn't happen for everyone, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything, really.
    Has your fundus been measuring ahead for several visits?
    Is the same person checking each time? Is your baby in the same position? Has baby had a growth spurt? There are other things, too, nothing worrisome, though.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yeah its been the same lady. and its been the last couple times that theyve said I was measuring ahead. My due date from my last mentrual cycle should be dec 10. Then they changed it several times now its the 26... but im measuring 2 weeks ahead... Haha My whole pregnancy Ive thought the due date was wrong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• As long as it's within a few weeks, it doesn't really mean anything. It could have a lot to do with who's doing the measuring, how they're measuring, what position the baby's in, etc. My doc measured me twice in one visit once because I was measuring 3 cm small, but the second time it was one ahead of what it "should" have been because the baby moved. By my last appointment at 39.5 weeks I was measuring 43 weeks, and obviously didn't have the baby 3 weeks early. So it doesn't mean much unless there's a big jump that they can't explain or there's a consistently large gap between your measurements and "normal", at which point they'll order an ultrasound to make sure everything's ok (which it usually is) and go from there.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009