anyone use herbal treatment for adhd

oosgrandma

Asked by oosgrandma at 1:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Health

• Honestly most of the medications given are some form of stimulant because those with ADHD have an opposite reaction. I've had friends with ADHD and they will have a cup of coffee if they can't sleep because caffein has the opposite effect on them. I think keeping active and teaching them to hyper-focus is the best (if it is a mild case). Herbal does not always = safer.
    My friends who have it were taught how to concentrate with music playing or a window open to outside. Now when watching TV, reading or playing a video game they focus so intently you may even have to touch them so they realize you are talking to them. It takes time and patience to learn, but I always thought it was a better alternative. Again, these were mild cases too.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 1:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• u r just treating the symptoms and not the cause just taking the herbal. It is not going to fix the problem. Instead you need to look at the diet. Google "Feingold diet".
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I did, but it only made his hair smell nice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Well, decided to try my grandson on Attentive Child..he's been taking for almost a month now along with Omega-3 and we are seeing a difference. The teacher made a comment this week that he's doing alot better in class..more able to sit and do his work..listening to directions better etc. I so hope this will continue as i don't want to put him on pres. drugs.
    oosgrandma

Answer by oosgrandma at 7:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2009