UK Telegraph: The UN loves Barack Obama because he is weak

Taken from article:

"Obama’s popularity at the UN boils down essentially to his willingness to downplay American global power. He is the first American president who has made an art form out of apologizing for the United States, which he has done on numerous occasions on foreign soil, from Strasbourg to Cairo. The Obama mantra appears to be – ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do to atone for your country. This is a message that goes down very well in a world that is still seething with anti-Americanism"

What is your opinion of this article? Agree, disagree?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Suddenly UN is important when it says something anti-Obama. I don't agree with it . OP how many languages to you speak? How many newspapers to you read from Europe from their native language?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• UN is important when it says something anti-Obama

The UN isn't saying anything Anti-Obama. WOW~Read the article. lol..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• They might think Obama is weak in this article, but better than the moron Bush!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

_________
    Well, I am not the OP but the UK saying Obama is weak is significant. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not the US cares what they say. I know I do. They are a major Allie! Oh, to help you understand why I care I speak, French,Gaelic(which is not in use only really old people still speak it),Spanish, Serbian, and American sign language. I hope this helps you know I am qualified to read foreign news papers lol!

I think Obama forgot we are the GREATEST nation! He is too apologetic. He is making the US look like pansies! He is setting up a "hey come get us" country. He really needs a refresher course in American History, so he can be reminded why we ARE so EFFIN BADASS! lol
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think its about time we apologized. We are a great nation, and not all of us agree with bullying the world, we are better than that. Thank you President Obama for being humble and open to working together with the rest of the world.

The days of "You're either with us or against us" are over, thank God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It makes me sick to my stomach.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I read the article. Withouth actually saying the writer is anti-Obama, what he wrote pretty much says he is. This is all coming from his own opinion. This is what HE BELIEVES. & nothing more than that.

I also believe the President is being humble. Something most Americans seriously lack. It takes more strength than some of you may know to actually be a humble soul. A Weak person fights back w/ harsh words. A humble person is above that & does not need to react in such a way.

I don't believe we are the GREATEST nation, there are a few other countries who have it better than we do & have their shit together better to. And no, I'm never going to leave America for those who say "then get out" I love this place, even though i think most of us are spoiled brats. I'm an American, but America needs some work right now. That's just reality. If we were the greatest nation, we'd all get a along a bit better than we do now.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• This is an opinion piece written by a guy that works for a right wing think tank. That makes his opinion of Obama about as valuable as yours :)

Heritage foundation Nile Gardiner

Info on the Heritage Foundation

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 3:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• why because he makes it vocal what they already know. many of the nations of the UN already know that for many years the US has been a bully and have done many unforgivable things. Such as force many of their countryies into a war where several years later much is still the very same if not worse. one might look at that and call us weak but some may say it's about damn time we are held accountable for the things we've done. the US is not a nation of saints you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2009