Do you give your child(dren) the flu shot? Why? Why not?

I got the flu shot myself years ago and it made me so sick that I've never wanted my daughter to get it. She is 5 now and I'm trying to decide if I should get it for her or not. Thanks for your opinions/advice.

drpepper73

Asked by drpepper73 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Health

• no, i have never had one and my kids will not have one because i don't think it is a necessary vaccine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yea at i think 1 and a half yr or a little after
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You're at a higher risk from the vaccine than from the flu. 'Nuff said.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I've never gotten the shot, and will not get it for my kids. More people get the flu from the shot (because they are injecting the virus into your body), then people do being around someone with the flu. Keep your hands washed, your nose covered when you sneeze, your mouth covered when you cough, disinfect things like door knobs and telephones, and you should be fine :)
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 4:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Never have and never will for myself or my children. Hubby used to until I made him read the paperwork they gave him and he then listened to reason and hasn't had one in 7 years and has had fewer cases of the flu since then too!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• RanaAurora - that isn't true, not at all. The flu vax has very few side-effects, the severe ones are incredibly rare.

If you got sick, chances are it wasn't from the vax.

Yes, my DD will get the vax. She's little and the chances of her dehydrating are kinda high. Plus hospital care isn't cheap. Unless your LO is allergic to eggs, children over 6 months of age are encouraged to get the vax.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/labels/vaccine%20news.asp

We selectively vax and do not vax against the flu

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 9:25 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• http://www.thinktwice.com/flu.htm

Check this out.
    TonyaakaMomof5

Answer by TonyaakaMomof5 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009