Twins? What?

Okay, I just found out I was pregnant about a week ago and the test showed up about two days or so before even the early response ones are supposed to show up. Three of them did actually. I took more days later and again the other day using a different brand to outrule the possibility of a "false positive" result. Since I found out FIVE PEOPLE have said "Wow, maybe it's twins" or "That happened to this one girl cuz it was twins"...you know, since they showed up so early. So it's kind of freaking me out. Is this really an early indication of twins? (My midwife did say so...but she said more than likely not). Has this been the first clue to anyone here? And how soon can a doctor tell via ultrasound if it were the case? I'm only about five weeks and a day or two, so my appointment isn't for a few weeks yet.

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think its a old wife's tale i always tested early and got a positive and i have been preg 11 times sadly God has taken some of my angels but if you are congratulations

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• twins can cause a pee test to show up earlier bc your urine will have more hcg hormone in it. But so can a lot of other things. You'll need to be patient and wait for an ultrasound or heart monitor to check for twins. I am going thru the same thing right now. Waiting sucks! We'll wait together. It's going to be several more weeks for the both of us. Twins might not be confirmed til the end of a 1st trimester in some women. A blood test can be an indicator. But the 2 separate heart beats is really what you're looking for.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Twins sort of run in my family. But it was my mom's grandmother, so I figured that was too far back to have much effect on me. But she had several sets of them, but is the only person to my knowledge that was blood related with twins. I also got symptoms earlier (about four weeks, though mild) and right now they are about the same intensity (slowly getting stronger each day) at the same time as with my daughter. It's just all these dang people telling me this! When the first said it, I thought "yeah right" and when the fifth said it.. I began to wonder if there was any validity to it.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• my pee test showed up days before my period was due(I only took it because my husband kept INSISTING & I expected it to be negative) The pos. line showed up bold & dark BEFORE the control line. I first felt the baby move at 14 wks..even though ppl kept saying "no way! you must have 2 in there!" but no, just one. And she wasnt even a huge baby either! Just 6 lb 6 oz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Thanks anon. It's not that I wouldn't love both babies the same if I had twins...but if I had a choice in the matter I'd say one newborn at a time is plenty!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree, it's just an old wives tale. With all 3 of my children the test showed up early, everything was early with them LOL, but each one was just 1 child :). Although my first 2 are less then a year apart, and everyone thinks they are twins LOL.
    TCamacho

Answer by TCamacho at 4:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• maybe you just ovulated a couple days sooner than you thought, meaning conception was a couple days earlier. 2 days further along can make a big difference in HCG levels, if i'm not mistaken. just an idea. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009