Unable to make chocolate chip cookies, help!

Every time I try to make them, they end up really flat and spread out over the whole pan. The air bubbles that occasionally happen end up as holes in the cookies. I am following the recepie, what am I doing wrong?!?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 2:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• That sounds like you don't have enough flour or too much sugar.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• What are you using for lard? butter, crisco, margarine?

I always liked butter more than margarine... the margarine would make latter cookies.... increase your flour slightly....

Gee, I haven't made them in years! Go to cooks.com or recipezarr.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• latter = flatter
    Anonymous

• Is your baking soda or baking powder expired? This happened to me once too.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• If you are at high altitude your probably need to add a little more flour, or if it's very humid where you live. Also, make sure you don't use a warm cookie sheet. Don't put it on top of your stove after you prepare it, put it on the counter, and let it cool or use a 2nd cookie sheet between batches. I also only use real butter.

If you still have trouble, I'd try a new recipe as well.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• are you using baking powder instead of soda
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Read here. Especially best answer.  ;-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
    1⁄4 cup unrefined sugar
    1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
    1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
    1⁄4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
    1 – 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1⁄4 cup canola oil (a little generous)
    1⁄3 cup chocolate chips

RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). In a bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt, and stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup with the molasses and vanilla, then stir in the oil until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, along with the chocolate chips, and stir through until just well combined (do not over-mix). Place large spoonfuls of the batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten a little. Bake for 11 minutes, until just golden (if you bake for much longer, they will dry out). Let cool on the sheet for 1 min then transfer to rack.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Buy chocolate chip morsals in the baking isle at your grocery store and it will tell you how to make the cookies. Mine always turn out perfect. Don't worry about them being perfectly shaped. Good homemade cookies are never perfectly shaped. Also whatever the recommended oven temp turn it down a notch. Every oven is different. If you find it is taking too long to bake then next time turn it up. This helps prevent them from becoming too hard. Try it and let me know how you things went. Good luck!!
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2009