Flying for the 1st time with a 5 month old....

My Mom has me totally freaked out that this is going to be a disaster! My husband isn't going with me so it's just me and my dd! She's a very happy baby so I don't forsee any problems, but am wondering about the air pressure issue - what can I do to make her comfortable...also we're sharing a seat so any tricks/advice you can give will be much appreciated to make the trip as smooth as possible! I think the flight is about 3 hrs....thanks!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She'll be fine. I have flown with my dd a lot! Just make sure you bring something for her to suck on when taking off and landing (passy, bottle, or breast if you breastfeed). Mine slept at taht age on the plane.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I flew with my daughter when she was three months old. Here's what I suggest: get to the airport early because you will likely have to show her birth certificate to get a boarding pass. They have a separate security line for families, so you can take bottles with water or formula if you need them. I took my entire car seat/stroller ensemble with me all the way to the gate. They stowed the stroller and had it out and ready for me as we got off the plane. Even though I didn't buy a seat for baby, our flight wasn't full, so they let me put her carseat in a separate seat - so I was glad I had it at the gate with me.

I sat all the way in the back of the plane. I have a happy baby, but if she did cry, I wanted to disturb as few people as possible. I gaver her a binky on take off as our pediatrician suggested, but we didn't have any air pressure issues. She slept most of the way and got lots of attention from the flight crew.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i have 3 kids. w my first, she and i flew when she was 4 months. Then again when she was 2 1/2 and my 2nd daughter was 1 1/2..trust me, this is going to be the easiest time flying w your baby. don't worry, you two will be just fine! id much rather fly w babies than toddlers. im actually going to be flying w my 5 month old in 2 weeks.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i took my 3 month old dd on a plane for 3 hours...she did wonderfully. she slept in my lap the whole time. i would take the stroller and check it at the gate...although it took a long time after we got there to get it back. dont bring too much on the plane...its really hard to work around it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2009