How many of you do a traditional...

Sunday dinner?
I'm not talking about just making dinner and everybody eating when they feel like it. I'm talking a dinner with many if not all of it being homemade foods, a set table in the dining room, no tv, dinner conversation & laughter filling the air.

Sunday dinners in my home are a big deal. I can start thinking about what I'm going to prepare for one Sunday meal as I'm sitting down eating at the current one. I make most things from scratch and there's a dessert afterward. Since dinner of course is after service it isn't unusal to see us still in our Sunday best but sometimes the little ones do change out of their dresses and into something a bit more comfy. In the fall and winter months we even eat by candle light and listen to music. My oldest picks something out of the Sunday paper she found interesting to share during the meal and we discuss and afterward watch a family show/movie or do a puzzle.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most nights I make dinner from scratch, even it's just BLT''s. We are guilty of eating in front of the TV a few nights/week but when hubby's home we eat at the table every night. We go around the table and each of us talk about what we did that day, whether it was cutting grass, playing on the playground or what happened in gym class. We each take our turn and it's a great way to get the conversations going.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I cook 99% of my meals from scratch! Sunday dinners are at 4 pm and the tv can be on due to football or a movie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• That's the way we eat every night.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I totally forgot to mention football. Thanks ANON 2:09. If there is a not to be missed game on then my husband will have the tv on in the living room so to hear what is going on but we still have our dinner in the dining room and the volume on the tv is turned to a comfortable level. But yes, if his TN Titans are playing during dinner we make an exception. HAHAHA
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• That sounds really nice.

We don't have anything traditional on sundays, I cook evertything from scratch unless I had a long day then we will just order in
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Thats pretty much how we do every dinner...the exception is during football with my son..then it gets a little more hectic and we can't sit together every night at the same time.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yeah, I'm with you deadheadjen, that's us every night.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• with the exception to the from scratch (I love me a jar of pasta sauce you know) part we do this most nights, we call it dinner. We eat dinner, followed by dessert. There is no tv in the kitchen (and we don't have cable anyway at the moment). Maybe I was raised oddly but that's just the way it was, and its the way we continue to make it. Sometimes on Weds, Thurs and Sundays DH or I have something going on that doesnt allow us to do it, but that is rare.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• That is us every evening...for the most part. I have little ones and teens. Fridays and Saturdays are usually more of a free for all, but mon-thrus and sunday are sit down home cooked meals. We never eat with the tv on.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• We do that every night but Friday night. Friday night we make homemade pizza as a family, and watch a movie together. All other dinners, homemade, at the table, no tv!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2009