How do I get my 4 yo boy with learning disabilities not be terrified of bugs?

He doesn't like the erratic flying or jumping or scurrying of bugs. Has a meltdown if there is a fly in the car. My husband and I pick them up and touch them and talk about them but he just insists , "I'm scared". Help!

meercatmom

Asked by meercatmom at 2:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm 23 and feel the same way about any bug. Definitely don't force him to touch them and don't make fun of him, not saying you would but I thought i'd say it to make sure, just because I know how it feels. Just keep insisting that they don't hurt anyone and maybe he'll come around.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Just keep doing what you are doing. Pick up the bugs and show him that they don't hurt. Show him how neat they look up close. Point out the eyes, colors or patterns on them or the number of legs or wings. He doesn't have to touch them, just maybe your up close show and tell will get him used to them so he won't freak out so much. Some little kids just can't get used to bugs. I had to do this with my kids for a long time before they ever wanted anything to do with bugs.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Have you tried getting some toy bugs? They run the gamut from cute furry plush toys to little plastic realistic ones. Maybe if you start with a plush bug toy, then move up to a slightly more realistic one when he's used to the plush, and then to a realistic one, they'll be less scary.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My 3 year old is terrified of bugs as well. he has a blanket with peguins on it and I told him that the peguins eat the bugs. That is the only way I could get him to go to sleep. Unfortunantly, the bugs he keeps seeing are dirt dobbers and they look like wasps and it scares him horribly.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 9:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• watch a video on bugs. get plastic bugs in the house for him to play with
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 6:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2009