Bf moms question

do you ever have to nurse baby to relax him even though he's not hungry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure. You do have pacifiers on your chest, they're just not man made. It's called comfort nursing. Its very common.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• why would you do that? you don't have man-made pacifiers on your chest!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yeah I've done that plenty of times...If the baby needs comfort and isn't hungry she/he just won't pull out any or much milk. Some people (like above anon) seem to think this is crazy but I am happy to do whatever I can to comfort my little angel :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes I've done that a lot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• YES! It took me a while to get it through my head, but when I did, it worked: "When he cries put him on the boob." That should have been tattooed on my arm and embroidered on all my towels because for some reason I just wasn't getting it; I'd think "Well he just ate a half hour ago... I don't know what can be wrong..." and then once I really started to BF when he cried, his crying became less frequent and he calmed down a lot. I guess some babies just need that comfort and constant reassurance.
    realthyme

Answer by realthyme at 2:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I've never had to with my baby, just because she's never needed it. But it is very common. That's one of the things that's so great about breastfeeding, is that they only get as much milk as they want, no matter how long they stay at the breast. You could try offering a pacifier instead if you want, as a way of discouraging using you as a human pacifier, but most babies prefer the breast. It gets better as they get older. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'd rather him nurse than have to break the habit of the pacifier later on in life. Besides, breasts were the original pacifiers. Why would I substitute that and getting to spend that time with my child?

To answer your question, yes. Sometimes babies just want to be close to their mothers and calm down. Nursing is a wonderful tool for that. Sometimes when my six month old gets hurt or really upset and I pick him up, he immediately starts pulling at my shirt and burrowing his face. I have no problem comforting my child when he needs it.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Many babies comfort feed.. it's really interesting because the milk that comes out for the first couple minutes doesn't have any fat so babies can comfort feed without getting unnecessary fat...something bottles could never do! Good job, mamma!
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 3:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• realthyme...why would you put your baby on a "boob" and not put it to the breast? I mean, I know plenty of women who are boobs, but I'd never pass my baby off to someone else to nurse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes i comfort my daughter all the time by doing that but i must add she usually just sucks lightly without actually sucking to get milk. i find that it soothes and comforts her and she always falls asleep.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009