When should child be enrolled in school like setting?

2 1/2 year old child, goes to day care a couple of days a week. Seems kind of smart and I think would benefit from a structured curriculum. Any ideas? Massapequa area.

terrihec

Asked by terrihec at 2:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When they are 6 or 7. There is no long-term educational advantage of pre-school. There is evidence that around 12 may be the best age to start formal education. Of course homeschooling is best. You can't beat one-on-one learning at the learner's pace.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• what you're doing is fine. if i could afford it, i'd have my son in daycare. as for now, we have an hourly care here that i have him go to about once, maybe twice a week. dh is deployed right now, so i get every other saturday at the daycare as well. i used to be a preschool teacher, and starting them early is great, this way they're not going into kindergarden and acting like they're at home, getting up whenever they want, then getting in trouble for it, ect. my song LOVES daycare and cries when he can't go. since i can't afford him to go to actual daycare, i've started off homeschooling him, so he's learning. i try to keep it structual as much as i can, but you know how day to day life goes, so sometimes it doesn't work like i want it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• personally 4 or 5 is soon enough. they have shown that trying to force a school like setting or stressing teaching/learning too soon actually turns kids off of learning. If you feel the child is advanced then try some enrichment activities. Work with them on letters/numbers, start learning to spell/read small words. Use sand/dirt play to show things like different shapes have different volumes, maybe get some memory cards and work on same/different concepts. . . just keep it light and fun. . . they have a great capacity for learning at this age but not the needed emotional tools for understanding boundaries or following more than one or two directions at a time

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i would say 3. As preschool isnt going to help with education. It will help with them getting used to the schoool setting..thats just my opinion...
    Houstyn08

Answer by Houstyn08 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Currently my son is enroled in a DayCare, he's been there since Oct 2008 (he was 21 months old). Now that he'll be 3 in December, Hubby & I have started talking about a preschool setting for him. Only problem with that is that where we currently live, the preschools are to far away & I wouldn't dare put my 3 year old on a school bus.

~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009