Am I over reacting?

My son is 16 months, and goes to physical therapy twice a week. Next week is the last week for home visits, then he starts going to the school they have. I think he is just too young, I think it might be me being nervous more than anything else. They don't allow parents to sit in and watch. Its from 8 to 11 3 times a week. Am I overreacting about not wanting him to go? They said it is supposedly helping them more without the parents. But Im still a wreck about it

mrs.bug

Asked by mrs.bug at 2:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Idk, it would be hard for me to do that at that age, but if it would benefit him i would let go and do it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• it will be harder for you to leave him that it will be for him.. if he needs it let him go, it may benefit him more than you think GL mama
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It depends what the physical therapy is for. If its something serious and they really feel like its beneficial for you to not be there and you can see him progressing I would do what the drs feel is right. But then again you know your son and if you can sense that he wants you to be there with him I would demand to stay or find somewhere else to take him. I wouldnt leave my daughter at that age, she would have thrown a fit!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Did you ask them, in more detail why they do not allow parents.

Answer by louise2 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I agree with you. There is no way I would do what they are suggesting. I had a son with developmental disabilities so I have "been there, done that." There has to be another way you can get physical therapy for him. If not, tell him you refuse and ask them to teach you how to do the therapy with him.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• He takes therapy because when we was a few days old, he had seizures. Its taking him a little more time to get his developmental things down. They wanted to get him into therapy sooner rather than later. They have been coming to my house for about 4 months now. But they said that once at 18 months they stop coming to the house and let them go to the school they have. All in all im unsure. He doesn't like any of the nurses. He is at the stage where he only wants mom and dad. So I decided I will demand to be there until i know he is ok.
    mrs.bug

Answer by mrs.bug at 2:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It is probably like dropping him off at daycare - my son goes part time and has been going for 8 months and still crys at drop off - its a center and I've dropped in numerous times so I have to think he's been treated good, i just think he'd rather be home with mom and dad - his teacher always says he's good once he gets there but its still HORRIBLY hard every time I have to drop him off
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Quick question, are you in the room during the home visits? How does your son react if you are? Does he turn to you if he doesn't want to do something? I only ask because it may be the reason they may not want parents in the treatment room is because of what you said. . . they only want mom and dad and may not listen to the therapist or do what they want him to do. I toss that out there because I'm just trying to see a possible other side.

As the parent I would want to observe a session or two and I would want to visit the school well before my child is supposed to start to try and get him acquainted with it. Also I would want to know the exercises they are doing so I can also help the progress at home.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You need to weigh the pros and cons in terms of what is best for HIM. You may be a wreck...but what is best for HIM.

I have a son in an integrated preschool for 3 year olds. He's receiving speech, OT and PT as well as help with his social and emotional development. I'm concerned about his cognitive abilities. He's advanced of his peers, and my concern with him is that he might regress since they do things on a 3 year old level (he's working on a 5 year old level)

He's been there 3 weeks every day. So far, so good. He's helping his friends now and is very excited to tell me about his day (2 1/2 hours each morning) His therapists are able to also observe him in the classroom setting and I feel (after corresponding with them) that they will now be better able to address his sensory issues much better than his old OT who came to the house twice a week.

You are the only one who can decide what is right though....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• (I ran out of characters)

Just weight the pros and cons and decide.

I can see the definite benefit to it, but I can also see having a tough decision with his age. But he'll be around other kids and that might help give him a "kick start" for his gross motor skills...seeing other kids his own age doing things....

Just my random thoughts...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2009