How soon can the baby's heartbeat be seen on ultrasound?

And when does a doctor normally check for it? I used a midwife last time, and she did not have an ultrasound machine nor did she do first trimester ultrasounds anyway...so I had to wait until about 14 weeks for the fetal doppler to show up. I plan to find a doctor this time at least for the first half... and I'd like to know if the baby is alive and growing as soon as I can. 14 weeks about killed me! But I can't remember what my friends said in terms of first appointments with a Dr. and how soon they could see anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think the ultrasound can normally pick up a heartbeat as early as 6 weeks, sometimes a little later. But a lot of doctors won't see you until at least 8-10 weeks, some as late as 12 or 13. So it depends on the doctor you end up choosing. But regardless of when your first appointment is, they'll probably either do an ultrasound then or make an appointment for one the following week.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think 4-6wks
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You can buy that thing at walmart that lets you hear the baby's heart beat. I'm not sure how much but I always though that'd be neat.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I had to have an ultrasound at 6wks and we could see the heartbeat then. Normally, we don't get to hear it until the 12 week appointment. I have a thing like you can buy at Walmart, but you have to be in your third before it will pick anything up!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Prior to 6 weeks you would only see a pole, and prior to 5 weeks you probably wouldn't see anything. A beating heart can be seen on a transvaginal u/s by 7 weeks, but most doctors don't usually do a transvaginal u/s unless there is a reason to suspect a problem. It is a few weeks later when the heartbeat can be picked up on a doppler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• As the others said, US technicians can see a little bean as early as 5-6 weeks, with the heart beating a 7-8 weeks, usually transvaginally. It can usually be heard with doppler by 10-12 weeks if I remember correctly. But as the other gals stated I don't know any doctors that would do an ultrasound that early unless they were suspecting problems. Maybe if you paid out of pocket??, but even then I don't know.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009