Daylight savings... How to adjust one year old's bed time?

an hour is a lot to a kid. so... how do I get him to go down an hour later and wake up an hour later, when it is 7 o clock and not 8, and then he wakes up at 6 instead of 7?! i do not want to deal with waking up at 6 lol.

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• say bed time is 8, so you need to start the process at 7 (bath whatever start it when you would if he was going down at 8) let him go down at 8:30 though, do that for about a week, than cut back by another half hour. but by starting the process when you would if he was going down at 8, it starts to calm him down and get used to the idea of going to bed at this time. thats what i do with my daughter and it always works.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• the pp took the words right out my mouth.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My kids went to bed at the same time year around. 9 pm was 9 pm. Before daylight savings time or after it.
    When the clock says 8pm put him to bed.

Answer by louise2 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ***HE just gets really fussy and tired, so i think i might have to transition. I guess i will have to go with the 30 min adjustment...
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I read somewhere (back when I was pregnant the first time) that you should do it one minute at a time. So say you start on the first of the month, you put them down a minute earlier, then the next night, you put them down 2 minutes earlier and so on. 2 Months of adjusting bedtime seems like a lot of work though. I say if the clock says it's bed time, then it's bed time and by the end of the week things should be back to normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Put him down at the regular time.

Let him wake when he wakes.

Follow the rest of your daily routine at the NEW hours. It makes a rough first day, but it's done and over in almost one day.

Well, for us anyway. It works. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You may be over thinking this. One night he'll get an extra hour of sleep or wake up an hour early. unless your child is on an amazingly precise schedule, it won't be any different than a day when he happens to wake up early. Worst case, put him down for his nap a little earlier (say 30 minutes) if he gets up at 6. by the next day he should be back to a normal schedule if he goes at his normal time. Kids live their lives by time intervals not by the clock. daylight savings time only messes us up because we know about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I thought my son would have a hard time with this last year when he was 1 but it worked itself out - I put him to bed 30 minutes later/early and it was fine. Not all of us are able to just let them sleep until they wake type of schedule so I understand.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009