Can anyone please help me...I am at a loss of words.

Hello,

I am the proud mom of two beautiful children. Daughter, turning ten and son of 13 months. I AM VERY LUCKY!

My dilema is not centered around how to's, rather, it is focused on wether I am pursuing an issue incorrectly.

For the past year, my daughter, has been goalie for a local intercity soccer team. Being that it is the end of season and that the kids are beginning winter camp, the team needs to balance and close it's bank funds.

A detailed budget was emailed to each of the parents indicating that the team had positive revenues, from fundraising. This is the part that I can't swallow: The funds are not being split evenly amongst all team members. While some girls will be receiving returns of well-over $230.00, others like myself, are being asked to pay additional monies, claiming that our child was not an active participate in the fundraing events. Isn't it suppose to be, FOR THE TEAM?!

HELP...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow... I have no idea! My kids aren't old enough for team anything yet, but I know when I was in high school we worked our butts off to come up with enough money for specific cheerleaders to be able to go to competitions with us, and people like me, would still have to pay out of pocket for everything... WE worked as a team to make sure our WHOLE team could compete...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I dont know. Did your child participate in the fundraising? That sounds ridiculous to me. Why would students earn money for high school sports? That doesn't even sound legal to me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Do you sign a contract at the beginning of the year to participate in fundraisers? I know our baseball team required each family to do a certain number of hours of work at the snack stand, and other fundraising things they had. If you didn't do your hours you had to pay additional money, but we knew that up front.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• How much of the fundraising did she help with? If she didn't or did very little then I agree with the policy. Fund raising is for the benefit of the whole team, but that means the whole team has to participate. If the child misses only one then they shouldn't be excluded, sometimes things beyond our control come up, but past one isn't fair to those who are out working thier behinds off to earn the money.

This is the first year I didn't have to pay for my son to go to football camp, I made sure he went to every fund raiser, unlike previous years were it just wasn't possible, so I knew I would have to pay out of pocket.

I understand it sucks, but I do find it fair.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2009