why aren't you supposed to sleep on your back while pregnant?

I've been wondering this for awhile. I was told that you aren't supposed to sleep on your back once you are 4 months or so but I can't figure out why it would matter as long as you are comfortable? I can't get comfortable that way anyway now so it's not a problem but I just wanted to know the reason.

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You weren't supposed to sleep face down either and I did with the help of a few, ok a LOT of pillows. I think it has to do with the pressure on the back and potential to cut off flow to the umbilical cord
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• After I was so far along I couldn't sleep on my back.It hurt to much.

Answer by louise2 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• something about the weight of your uterus pinching your vena cava and disrupting the blood flow in your body.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• There is a major vein that you can lay on and if you do so long enough, it can cut blood flow off to the baby....plus it's really uncomfortable....try laying on your left side, body pillows are awesome!!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You can't sleep on you back cuz the baby puts to much presure on you organs
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009