Sippy Cups

When do you think that a child should no longer be using a sippy cup? We use cups at all meals when we are sitting at the table. Our little ones are not allowed drinks in bed but in between meals I allow them to use them, or in the car. Just too many spills and messes. We have carpet in the dinning room so confining them to that with a regular cup just spells disaster. I have not really worried about it but my dr gave me a hard time about it and I was wondering what other Mom's take on it was.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 3:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• MY DD USES A REGULAR CUP AT MEALS....BUT A SIPPY CUP WITH A STRAW OTHER WISE EVERY NOW AND THEN DEPENDING ON WHERE WE ARE SHE USES NORMAL SIPPY CUP!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• we do the same. But anytime its water i put it in a cup. she is more likely to drink more water and it wont ruin anything.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think after two and turning 3 kid should be introduced and using regular cups. My son is 3 and that is all he uses, but last weekend when I got him from his dads he had a sippy. I was blown away and couldn't believe he was drinking out of it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• it can effect there teeth just like a bottle my daughters bottle out at 1 and sippy cup at 2!
    mememecassie

Answer by mememecassie at 3:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My kids were off the sippy at one year. We switched to a straw cup at that time. Once they turned two we started with regular cups at the table (except my oldest, he was ready at 18 months...shocked me!). They use sports bottles for snacks/drinks away from the table.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It's really none of your his doctors business, it's a parenting decision. My guy just turned 4 and still prefers his milk from a sippy cup so he gets one a couple of times a day. He uses a straw for juice and drinks water from a regular tumbler or a bottle with a sports cap. I'm not going to clean up spilled milk from all over the place and I'm not going to use a straw cup because those things get so gross wicked fast, even with just water.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• As long as the kids are having their teeth brushed regularly, then I see nothing wrong with it. My 3.5 year old still uses a sippy because he still spills. We've tried a regular cup, but he's not ready for that full time yet.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• try to offer without a lid sometimes to get him ready. my son is almost three and i am trying to get him to drink out of a cup and it is a little harder with him than my others. i think they like the convience of it not getting them wet or the comfort of it being similar to a bottle. well anyways i am hoping to nip it before he turns three. good luck
    rebecki1978

Answer by rebecki1978 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I work in a preschool with 2 1/2 to 3 year olds, we allow them to bring in the sippies and use them at AM and PM snack and have water in them throughout the day so they can drink but at lunch and if they forget their cups they get a dixie cup, my 3 1/2 yr old has been using the sippies with out stoppers since he was 1 1/2, theres going to be spills and accidents but thats what they are accidents, at home and when we go out my son uses a "big boy" cup bc thats what he is a big boy and he sees his baby sister drinking out of the same sippies that dont have stoppers i think by the time they are three they shouldnt be using them all the time...
    pebbles425

Answer by pebbles425 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My older 3 kids used a sippy cup until the youngest of them could be trusted to not spill every single drink. That was around 4 (the other two were 5 and 6). They all knew how to drink out of regular cups but the youngest was so klutzy that she spilled everything and didn't know to leave her siblings' cups alone (we also had to keep our drinks out of her reach).
    If it hadn't been for her they probably would have been done with sippies long before that.
    My youngest is 3 1/2 and hasn't had a sippy in over a year and was drinking from a regular cup most of the time by 18 months. The sippies were for juice or in the car and by 2 1/2 those were tossed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2009