Anyone know anything about Hermit Crabs???

I have a hermit crab I thought was molting. Very unresponsive, lathargic, not as active as he usually is, etc. So I put him in an isolation tank so that he could not be bothered by the other crab. Now he's walking around all over the place and exploring his environment. So am I mistaken? Is he not molting? I thought he would kind of be in a sedative state during the molt and not come out of it until he is finished. But, if this is the case and he is molting, why is he moving around all over? I would really like to know b/c if he's not molting, I would like to return him to his original tank.

Thanks to all!

joannakitler

Asked by joannakitler at 3:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What kind of sand do you have and how deep? Whats the humidity? It could be the parameters of your tank was off and the new tank is better for him and therefore he perked up. If he hasn't buried himself in the sand he's not likely molting. My suggestion is to join a hermit crab forum where they can probably help you more. PM me if you'd like a link to one. I use to own hermit crabs but unfortunately I couldn't keep the tank stable in KY weather.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It's been a while since I had one, but I'd say keep him separate for a while just to be on the safe side.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009