Do you think parents of kids in foster care should reimburse the state?

I was wondering because it seems to easy to walk away from children and leave them in the care of the state. I was once a foster parent and what people fail to realize is alot of parents abuse their children and there is seldom any charges brought against the parents. I have had children in my care who were thrown down a flight of stairs (one case in particular was a 7 month old baby) and now the child has cerebal palsy and will require a lifetime of round the clock care. No charges were ever pressed.....It got me to wondering because an anonymous person asked about women on WIC who smoked and people had alot to say about tax dollars being used and how they should have a say so. Well tax dollars are being used to take care of neglected and abused children and no one has anything to say about that. Hmmmm makes you wonder....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would say it depends on the situation, and for those wo cant pay, go to jail.
    supermom2005

Answer by supermom2005 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I think that if the parents are looking out for the best interest of the child and give up the child, no. And even when it's the state took the child, if it is clear that there was abuse or neglegance, then yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm glad to hear there are people who care and take care of these needy foster kids! Their situations are sooooo sad and I know our tax dollars are being used to help people who really need it, but a lot of people do abuse the system, and some who need the help can't get it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I was in foster care for almost 3 years and my real mother had to pay like almost 200.00 a month to the state. I live in Kansas
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 3:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Depends on the situation.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I hate to inform you but parents of children in foster care DO pay child support to the state.
    My exs children were placed in foster care and he had to pay support for them. Paid to the order of the state of ohio
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 5:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It takes a lot of strength to realize that you are unable to properly care for your children. Why would you put someone in jail for it? Silly...

And to your question, ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• You could call Foster families Nannies for children who are victims of abuse, intentional neglect or unintentional neglect. Its a job raising children of intentional or unintentional neglect or intentional abuse of children. In which there are parents of unintentional neglect or had there baby taken away based on the possibility they would neglect there child. And these biological parents would not harm there child on visits where they are either limited in seeing there child, they way they interact with there child on visits or not allowed to visit there child at all. Or the gifts a biological parent gives for a child will be sent back to the biological parent by the social worker or Foster Parent/Foster Parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on May. 18, 2010