NBC poll: For the first time, more independents disapprove of Obama than approve of him.

For the first time, independent voters—who delivered Mr. Obama the White House and Democrats control of the Congress—disapprove of the job he is doing, 46% to the 41% who approve. In July, 49% of independents approved of the president, against 38% who disapproved.

As the 2010 election cycle heats up, independent voters now favor Republican control of Congress by four percentage points.
~~
Any Independents on Cafemom willing to say they have changed? In your opinion, what has changed the Independents approval of Obama?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I disapprove of his continuation of the Patriot Act, and that he is allowing corporate interest to dictate the health care debate.

He is a corporatist just like the rest. No real difference between him and a republican.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 4:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Link

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm an independent and have not changed. I would still vote for Obama today.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm really trying not to sound pissy, but if it were the other way around and someone posted to that affect would your response be that of okay great or would you try to discredit the poll, or bring something negative to light to counter act the positive. Before you get offended I'm really not bashing on you but I often see these poll threads and the moment it's says something opposite many try to bring it down by posting something negative (perhaps in the past you weren't one who did).

What are you really expecting people to respond and say here? I'm not being a wise azz just asking a question. Becuase either way polls go up and polls go down. When everything is gravy polls go up and when thing are going south they go down. It's nothing strange - it's happened to every president in office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• ANON 3:20 here - I just wanted to bring to light I'm not a supporter of President Obama in the least. I just wonder if the polls were in his favor would such ones as yourself say "well, that may be true but....."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Except for the few sell-outs on the P&C of course.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 3:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• They won't admit it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Since I never voted for him in the first place I can't answer this question but I'm courious to see if any would admit it now. That might be a tough pill to swallow, don't cha think? Not only that would think maybe they really don't want to deal with the negative responses from others. Sometimes those who point the finger are the ones who have a hard time keeping an open mind. I have seen a few posters on here say they regretted giving President Obama their vote and it was like the flood gates opened on them with all of the negative comments.

Perhaps if that were me I wouldn't want to admit it either.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I'm an independent, who is not happy with the way he has allowed the health care debate to be taken over by liberals and conservatiives. I still support Obama. The fact some independents are willing to vote for Republicans in 2010 will change nothing. Independent voters have been going back and forth for years. Congress likes it this way. As Obama said, we need to change the way we do business in DC. What he means is Congress needs to realize they are there to benefit the citizens not the lobbyists.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• So? I'm a registered independent who voted for Mr. Obama, and would do so again. I think that people are unhappy with the country as a whole, which is reflected in this poll.

Am I happy at everything that has gone on? No. However, I am still at peace with my choice. I would never want to identify myself with a party that has behaved as boorishly as the Republicans have.
    AMom29

Answer by AMom29 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2009