Can you treat the flu from home without Antivirals?

Antivirals being prescriptions like Tamiflu. My SS's mother recently dropped insurance on him out of spite (it's against the court ruling but we're dealing with that) and we're still in the process of trying to get him on ours. Which leaves me with a sick 11 year old and we don't have enough money to take him to urgent care for $100. Suggestions anyone??

kalanthestepmom

Asked by kalanthestepmom at 3:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Health

• You still have to bring him to get tested because if it's H1N1, without treatment or delay the treatment is dangerous.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes you can, i had possible h1n1, i declined the test but all i did was rest and lots of water and some tylenol against the fever. Tamiflu does have side effects and if your symptoms are mild there is no reason to take it. The regular flu kills many many people every year and there is not so much paranoia and media hype about that.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• twenty one states with hospitals overflowing with H1N1 cqses into tents iinthe parking lot doesn't sound like paranoia. There is also a vaccine for the regular flu. It might not work for everyone true but at least it's there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I am not adverse to immunization nor flu shots. Right now though since he's sick he obviously can't get it now. I do not believe he has the H1N1 strand. Of course if this persists I will take him to Urgent Care, I just have to weigh the odds. His health comes first, I don't want to over or under react. Thank you for the answers : )
    kalanthestepmom

Answer by kalanthestepmom at 5:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• An otherwise healthy person does not need to pump them selves full of toxins in the form of untested vaccines or drugs with some pretty severe possible side effects. Do some research on how to treat the symptoms of the flu and if he gets worse then take him in. I have NEVER taken tamiflu or anything like it and neither have my children and I had H1N1 last year, but managed to not infect my kids or hubby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• The virus has already infected the body, anti-virals are the only thing that can slow down reproduction of the virus. However, you can most certainly treat the symptoms and make your LO as comfortable as possible. Fluids, a comfy spot to relax, a fever-reducer, etc can all help make the flu less miserable.

Check out the CDC website on signs on when your child should be seen by urgent care. The flu can kill, you need to be careful.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• The side effects of the anti-virals are often worse than the symptoms of the virus.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:07 AM on Sep. 24, 2009