How do you toughen them up a little?????

My DD will be 4 in Dec. and cries every time she falls or bumps her hand or whatever. I know it doesn't hurt half the time. How can I get her out of this? She started soccer yesturday and got hit with the ball and lost it! She can't be doing this every time she gets hit with the ball. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sweetie, she is just a baby give her time to grow out of the stage.

Answer by older at 3:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Just don't give her attention when she cries.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Tell her to brush it off and just act as if everything is ok, eventually she will catch on. She is still very young and some children just tend to get scared when something "hurts" which is perfectly natural. When she was little and would fall did you always rush to pick her up and cuddle her, did you sometimes gasp and immediately ask if she was ok? Most of us do this at least a few times, but if it happens frequently, the children tend to learn that they should react to every single bump that occurs. It takes some time to reverse that cycle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Maybe soccer is not the right thing for her. Did she want to go into soccer or was it your idea?

Answer by louise2 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Some little ones are just sensitive. It may or may not hurt, but you have to be aware that thier feelings may have gotten hurt or that they are super embarassed in the process. Other than that, if that isn't the case, pick them up dust them off and tell them, you're okay, and send em back out there. Coddling them doesn't help. Even when they have a real(non-serious) boo-boo. (In those cases you just say wow, what a cut, lets fix it up so you can go play. And be done with it.) Because the more You make a big deal about a cut or something, with little ones that tend to freak out, the more they feed off of it and the more they will react to non-issues, such as a ball hitting them. Good Luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My DD is 5 now but I started this with her months ago...

I will say to her.....if she falls (and not really hurt, or if she is trying to do something and
    fails)

I will say DO YOU WANT TO WA WA WA (cry)
    or do you want TO GET TOUGH and Try Harder...

It works..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Soccer was her idea, not mine! I don't want her to do something just because I want her to!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• "Are you bleeding? Is anything broken? Are you about to die?" Usually by the time I get to the last one they laugh at me. If they don't then there is usually something wrong. I try not to make a big deal about minor bumps and bruises (sports or play related, anyway). If you don't make a big deal about it, she probably won't either. My son stopped a soccer ball with his face the other day, and he was more worried about his glasses being broken (hubby was worried about his nose). She should get used to it with time.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• cal- I use that same set of questions for my son and it works just as well. If he is still crying by the end, i know that something might actually hurt enough to need and ice or a band-aid.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Be a little understanding. She's not even four yet. It is something she will grow out of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009